One Week

WAY TO GO VAUGHN!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT DECISION - NEVER TOO LATE!

You're on your way. Stay with it, it'll get easier. I quit cold turkey at age 42 after smoking 2+ packs/day since I was 17. It was one of the best decisions of my life - it will be one of yours too.

PS I'm still astounded at the cost of cigarettes - ~$35/carton - Holy Molly! I remember paying ~$3/carton. Incredibly costly habit.

Know that we are all in pulling for you.

Smart decision, Vaughn. I think you will see a quick health improvment.
I don't smoke but I have had plenty of second-hand smoke while growing up, thanks to my dad who used to smoke one pack a day. He quit in his sixty's and now he is in his seventy's. His health improved a lot after he quit.

Vaughn,

Congrats. I quit years ago, but I've been on patches or lozenges since then. The lozenges work out to about $3/day. What do you reckon the ecigs set you back per day?

Thanks,

Bill

...The lozenges work out to about $3/day. What do you reckon the ecigs set you back per day?...

Hard to tell for now, since I've bought several bottles of juice and have been switching flavors a lot, but I'm guessing a $5.00 bottle of juice will easily last a week or more at my current (pretty heavy) rate. As for the equipment, I figure that will pay for itself after about two weeks.

Al mentioned cartons for $35. Around here, the name brands are more in the $55+ per carton range. I was smoking an off-brand for $35/carton, but I had to drive to a local Indian reservation to get prices that low.

Congratulations Vaughn! Quiting smoking for most people is really difficult! I quit after 41 years of 1 1/2 packs per day. I used the gum for 2 years and then went cold turkey from the gum. I quit 6 or 7 years ago. Even now, once in a blue moon, I will pass a group of smokers or go to my favorite local pub for a Scottish ale and I could kill for a cigarette but...the desire passes and it gets easier to ignore it as time goes on.

I have read that nicotene is one of the most addictive drugs out there.

Hang tough brother! You can do it!

Good for you Vaughn Hang in there as usually getting through the 2nd week is the hardest. I quit drinking in 86 so I could quit smoking in 87 I was smoking 3 and 4 packs of Cools a day. By far one of the hardest things I have done I used about a half a box of Nicorets (sp) to help me through. For years I would catch myself reaching in my pocket for a cig and at that moment I would of killed for one. but it dose get easier. I will now only chock someone for one :D

Good going, Vaughn! You can do it!!!

I quit smoking in 1974. I had started in high school and quickly elevated my habit to more and more of them until I was averaging 2.5 packs a day in 12 years! My system was really full of the stuff!!! I was encouraged by the woman who became my second wife (about the only good thing she ended up doing for me). I tapered off over a five day period, chewing more and more gum and Certs to help compensate. Another thing I did was carry a pen in my hand most of the time - satisfied the physical need of having a cigarette in my hand. I was concerned about so many people saying they had gained a lot of weight when they quit, so I kept aware of that and actually lost five pounds over a six month period!

Go get 'em Vaughn!!

I quit on 1/15/2002 after 35 years of 1 1/2-2 packs per day. Had two stents put in my heart a few days later. Scared into quitting in other words. Lots of Big Red chewing gum and celery at first, but managed to quit cold turkey and stay there.

Best of luck at staying away from the smokes, and like everyone else said, spend your new found bucks on tools and wood. :thumb:

Congratulations Vaughn! The man himself is the hardest to overcome their weakness. I saw my father. Before he died. 40 kg. Skin and bones. Smoked for 50 years. Non-filter cigarettes. Died of lung cancer.

Jozsef

I've never smoked (I did try to learn when I was a teen, but just never got the hang of it - tried again when my first wife decided she was going to smoke at 35... still never got the hang of it), so that said I know nothing about the addiction and the effort it must take to quit. My stepson has tried to quit about 3 times in the 20 years I've known him and so far hasn't been successful.

My father smoked from the age of 14 until he was 74.... that last year he got bronchitis and the doctors told him he needed to stop or it would kill him... he laid them down and never smoked again, but suffered a massive heart attach 3 months later... you never know I guess...

Congratulations on your efforts...Vaughn.

You rock bud!! It's tough, I did the cold turky thing 22 years ago; I remember driving my bike behind someone that was in a car smoking taking deep breaths to get my fix...so lame!! Keep it up and don't let anyone take that milestone away from you!!!:congrats:

tried again when my first wife decided she was going to smoke at 35...

:huh::bonkers::thud:

Seriously? at 35?

I've never smoked also, but have read many MANY times over the years how hard it is to quit.
Anyone know a pointer to some stats on when people start? I would have guessed that most do it when young (I am Immortal!) rather than when not young (I don't wanna die!) :(

...Anyone know a pointer to some stats on when people start?...

http://www.sharecare.com/question/average-age-people-start-smoking

I started at about 15, if you don't count the few puffs I tried when I was about 6 years old. :rolleyes: Both parents were heavy smokers, and their attitude was that they'd rather have me do it openly than hide it. (Same with drinking.) By the time I was about 16, mom would buy three brands of smokes every week at the grocery store...hers, Dad's and mine. In high school, smoking was allowed everywhere except inside the buildings. (We still smoked plenty in the practice rooms in the Music building, though, lol.)