Exterior glue question

Bob Gibson

I've been tasked with making the cross for my grandsons grave. It will probably be about 4' tall.

I've bought black locust. I wanted to make the cross 1 1/2"- 2" thick but the only locust that I could find fairly locally is 4/4. I'm thinking about planing 2 pcs to 3/4" or so then gluing them together.
I bought Gorilla glue and I have Titebond 3 just not sure which one would be best. Keeping in mind that a foot or so of the cross will be buried in the earth.
The pieces will be about 3" wide and face glued. Should I use epoxy or will Gorilla or TB111 work ???????

I'm thinking about finding some place and having his name and date laser engraved on it. Also was thinking about leaving it unfinished because locust almost looks like teak when its aged.
Would you recommend a finish on it or leave it natural?? Locust will last embedded in the ground for 30 years or more.

Sorry, not a fun subject to bring up. I just want to make sure I don't screw it up.

Thanks for your insight.

First of all, I'm very sorry you lost your Grandson.

If I were doing this I would use epoxy for laminating the pieces as well as stainless screws counter sunk and plugged for additional durability. Then spray several coats of a UV stabilized epoxy finish and give it a fairly long (10-14 day) cure time. Sunlight, time and weather are still going to take its toll, but you'll be off to a good start. The laser engraving sounds interesting, I would go for it. Good luck, God Bless, and I would really like to see the finished results.

Sorry for your loss Bob. If it where me building this I would order the right thickness parts and have them shipped in. Maybe Goose Bay can get them for you.
As for engraving these guys have done right by me in the past. http://saymoretrophy.com/ Did right by Johnathan S. too.

Im very sorry for your loss Bob.
I agree with Chuck on finding the right thickness. Epoxy would be the best followed by urethane, imo more along the lines of a PL Premium urethane adhesive. It has the consistency of grease as opposed to a liquid such as Gorilla glue and it doesnt turn into a ball of expansion foam.
Here is another source. We used them from time to time at the shop I worked at. http://www.irionlumber.com/

i agree with epoxy bob, and you could use a lap joint for the cross, not familiar witht he varnish that roger mentioned but i do know that locust is good in the ground for along time.

I echo the condolences on your loss. But if you want true waterproofing to glue those boards together, use a resourcinal glue. It's rated waterproof, and will serve your needs very well. Most of the others (plastic resin, TII, etc.) are rated Type 2, water resistant. I'm not sure were epoxy shakes out, but the resourcinol is a sure bet.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I can't find a local source for the resourcinal glue so I'm going to use epoxy.
I tried several sources for buying 8/4 locust but no one has it. Several places in NY and PA that list it on their web site don't return my calls or emails so I'm going to laminate it.
I'm planning on using a lap joint Larry. I can't think of a better way to do it. I have some stainless screws so I'll put a few in and plug them.
I was also planning on leaving it unfinished and let it go grey over time. The few pieces I've seen look a lot like teak when it ages.
I'll contact the folks you mentioned for the laser engraving Chuck. I want to send the cross piece to them and have it done. Hopefully they will do that for me.
Just thinking that maybe I should put a finish on it to protect the engraving :dunno:

For sure resorcinol glue isn't an easy item to find, if you change your mind Jamestown Distributors has it. Any finish in that service is something that will need maintenance. It might be every 10 years or less, but it will need something.

Unfortunately I can't offer any better suggestions than what has been posted, but just wanted to express my condolences for the loss of your grandson.