Future Project, a traditional 4 poster bed

Bryan Cowing

I want to build this bed, from a 1995 WW magazine article I saved. I have a stash of air dried 8/4 hard maple (12% moisture) picked up for $300 to use. Posts are 3 pieces, 2 @ 36" + finial. I got a start on drawing out the post parts full size from the info in the magazine article. Posts are 3"x3" , but I'm thinking of making them approx 3&1/2" square after glueing up 2 pieces of the 8/4 stock. The posts are a bit more complicated with reeding and fluting. I'm hoping the wood will be usable this fall.:huh: The maple has some worm holes, spalting, but the price was right for hobby use.
IMG_6288.JPGIMG_6290.JPGIMG_6291-001.JPG

btw bryan, looking at your picture, I estimate approx. 295-320 bf of lumber sitting there.
at 300.00 dollars, for 8/4 maple, only way to get that stash cheaper is by using a gun.

Cut 16 beads, using previous markings, but should be 12 by the article. Bearing at last bead has no support so it digs in. I remarked the lathe index for 12.

I guess I better get back to finishing the other bed and stop playing. :wave:Got lots of sanding to do, and assembly before staining.:rolleyes:IMG_6298.JPG

The mid post test piece is done, and I did some altering of the pexiglass template to reduce diameters in 2 places. I'm turning the 36" long mid post on a Mini Max lathe with a support bearing that rides along with the cutter. I also made a 2nd bottom test piece, at 3& 3/8" square from 3" square to better match the mid post I made. Took a pic of the post with the other bed I made, quite the difference in sizes.
rolleyes.png

IMG_6311.JPGIMG_6312.JPG

Today I got to do some copy turning on a Mini Max lathe. This lathe has a heavy duty support bearing for that long thin stock that will whip. The bearing rides along as you turn about 1&1/4" of the pattern at a time , down to the template. I am doing the 36" long mid post , which has 3" diameter at one end and down to 1& 1/4" at the other end.
The lathe has a pre cutter, which turns the stock to 3&1/8" to pass through the bearing. I pre-turn the whole length to get rid of any excess vibration, then back the carriage up to the tailstock & start turning the pattern.

IMG_6316.JPGIMG_6317.JPGIMG_6318.JPGIMG_6320.JPGIMG_6322.JPGIMG_6323.JPGIMG_6324.JPGIMG_6325.JPG

Had enough workshop time till next weekend. I'm worn out :zzz:Drilled the holes, fitted the parts, made the finials, all 4 posts basically done, except for forgotten sanding here and there. Testing a stain, + coloured poly a neighbour had left over, they gave me a year or so ago. I wiped on one stain coat + 2 coloured poly coats so far on the bottom post I discarded. Royal Mahogany , colours the maple pretty good.

IMG_6334.JPG

IMG_6333.JPG