Future Project, a traditional 4 poster bed

Well, yesterday evening I glued up 5 boards to make a 1&1/4 thick x 20" high headboard, instead of 18" as in the plan. No sense cutting the extra 2 " off
grin.gif

This morning before I went to work, sent it through the planer, & tonight I used my jigsaw to ruff it out.

IMG_6335.JPGIMG_6336.JPG

Got in an hour before work this morning, using the spindle sander on the inside curves. That left a slight ripple effect, manly because of the weight of the headboard, hard to slide . I cut an off cut from the headboard down to use as a curved sanding block. 10 minutes each side had it nice and smooth
1biggrin.gif
. Top curve I tried the 2 hand planes I own, bit more luck with the little Veritas compared to the record block plane. Then decided to finish it off with the belt sander to remove any unevenness.
IMG_6338.JPGIMG_6337.JPGIMG_6340.JPG

working on the footboard, cutting the tenon ends this weekend. Cut one half the profile, used the off cut as a template for the other side. Came out a bit pointy in the middle :huh:, so had to redraw the curve , & jig saw that off and used the 6" belt sander to smooth , this sander takes it down very fast :eek: .. Once I make up the side rails , I can start cutting the mortises.:thumb:

IMG_6342.JPGIMG_6343.JPGIMG_6344.JPG

Disassembled the bed into parts. All was going good till I knocked about 3 L of stain on the floor :huh: I was using it as a base coat, with another darker stain as a second coat. So much for trying to use up left over stain
1mad.gif
. So far 2 coats on the posts, 1 on the rest, and hope the second coat of the same stain will match the posts. And it's so hot in the shop, stain was drying 15 seconds after wiping it on!
1eek.gif

IMG_6367.JPG

IMG_6368.JPG

Those posts are looking really good. Like the color. Got my wood now have to get going on the bed. Thanks for all the detail Bryan i will sure be using your post as a reference.

I have been spraying clear gloss top coats with the Wagner hvlp, brushing wasn't doing it. Poly seems to attract bugs & dust
angry.gif

wet poly looks like glass!
IMG_6385.JPGIMG_6386.JPG

got the posts glued up too! end is near:):)

IMG_6389.JPG

Last edited:
:bang:
another bug, whole lot bigger than the last one buried itself in the wet poly of the headboard. I dug it out, put some poly in the hole but it doesn't disappear. I hope I don't have to drastically sand back the poly:pullhair:

I had a lot of trouble with dust and lint in the finish of the head and footboards. I stopped using the overhead air cleaner, thought it was adding dust to my finish problems. I sprayed the wipe on poly as I'm terrible at getting a good finish wiping it on, and used a micro fibre dust cloth to wipe down before spraying. I'm happy with the headboard :)

IMG_6398.JPG