Ouch, I-5 Bridge Collapsed

Bill Satko

The Interstate 5 bridge over the Skagit River collapsed due to being hit by an oversized load this evening. They pulled 3 people from the water and there does not appear to be any others missing (so far). Good thing there, but this will be a major mess. You can not believe the amount of traffic, both cars and commercial trucks that run down the I-5 corridor from Canada to Seattle. This bridge is about 30 miles south of Bellingham. My wife travels over this bridge about once a week to see her mom in Everett (just north of Seattle).

Just google I-5 Bridge Collapse and you can get the latest news.

Pretty amazing that there were no deaths. I don't envy the folks in the area who will be dealing with no bridge for a while, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it is amazing that no one died. As for how they are going to get around I can not imagine as there is only the small towns of Burlington and Mt Vernon or farm roads you need to navagate through to get to the nearest bridges which are much smaller. It is a mess this morning and will be until a replacement is built. Every weekend, thousands of Canadians burst across the border shopping and pillaging down to Seattle. I-5 is the only viable path for them. How will they cope?

Bill, you asked how they will cope...more shopping in Bellingham.... Enjoy!

There is an alternative route just 400 yards East, off the exit before the bridge and back on the exit after from either direction. Alternative to that is Hwy 9 another route to the west (don't know that one). Going to be a mess for sure...guess I'm not going to come up and visit Mom anytime soon.

Its been on NY news and ofcourse they are questioning the safety of NY bridges. According to the local news tonight on fox, they mentioned there are 17000 highway bridges in NYS.
Something like 900 of them failed to make a certain grade, not meaning they are unsafe, just that they need repair work done to bring the numbers up.

Sure, rub it in! We are already up to neck with Canadian shoppers, not that I mind. I just don't understand the willingness to go through the hassle of a border crossing just to shop.

I heard it was an Alberta truck that took out the bridge too. Looks very suspicious:D

Seriously, it was amazing no one was killed or seriously hurt. The outcome could've been much worse.

I've heard the bridge repairs are already underway...

funny-pictures-emergency-bridge-repair-team-duct-tape-truck.jpg

Bill, used to have a small restaurant out the guide about 5miles and used to enjoy the Canadian traffic a great deal. Course, did not care for it once we had to go into town and actually drive with them...

Doug

Theres been mention of this bridge in my local newspaper every day since the bridge came down.

ONe article discussed the economic impact it would have on truckers, meaning prices could go up.

Our buses cross that bridge every day on the trip between Seattle and Vancouver BC , we've only been experiencing about a 10-20 minute delay on the detour. There has been talk about a military bridge battlion from the National Guard setting up something temporarily till they figure out a permanet fix.

I was wondering if that bridge was impacting you, Dan. I guess a 15 to 20 minute delay is a lot less than it could be.