Moore, Oaklahoma Auction

Jim Burr

Last year on IAP, we had a Collaborative challenge. 50 pen makers paired in 10 groups. Each member had to have a hand in the pen making; make the blank, turn a barrel, finish, assembly and so on. Our pen literally went around the world. After I finished making the blank, I sent it to South Africa so my pal Terry Finny could turn it, he in turn sent it back to the states. My contribution was making the blank. I cast the resin and stabilized some buckeye burl, random elliptical cut and segment with aluminum. At the time, no one had ever done that and since it sucks to get the thing to stick together, only a few have been attempted since!
The pens were displayed at MPEG last month and after the Moore, Oklahoma tornados, most of the teams put their pens up for auction on eBay.

Here is the link for the story on IAP: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/another-charity-auction-benefit-victims-oklahoma-tornado-111179/
and the link for the pen on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custum-Hand...ictims-of-the-Oklahoma-Tornado-/190847540560?

For me this was a first on several fronts...the best one being lending a helping hand to those that lost everything.
Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Jim, that is fantastic. Both the construction aspect as well as donating the money. Way to go!!!

I agree wholeheartedly. You made an awesome blank, and the rest of the crew turned it into a very impressive pen. It's sitting at a healthy price now, too. :thumb:

As an aside, the indoor shooting range where I'm a member is raffling off a rifle, with the proceeds going to help the tornado victims. While I don't really need an HS Precision 338 Lapua sniper rifle, I went ahead and bought two $10 tickets for the drawing. ;)

Jim that's just WAY COOL!!! After checking out this great pen, I scrolled down to find out who all had a roll in it. Well it through me for a little loop when I read Mark D was from Sayre Pa. Heck That's my part of the country,or at least where I was born and raised. Spent way to many nights partying there in my youth.:) Heck still have a lot of kin living in Sayre.