Thread: Larger Container for DNA Bath ?

Larger Container for DNA Bath ?

On a Dna bath for pieces bigger than will fit in the 5 gal bucket what do you guys use that is air tight?

Mike, try using a storage tub. You might have to put plastic over the tub before placing on the lid but you can get storage tubs in very large sizes.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

I bought something similar to this. I didn't buy six as they are advertising. Big enough for what I need and I put some thin foam with sticky on one side like you use to insulate a door with. I just add fresh DNA every now and then when I see it going down. I started with 3 gallons of DNA.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I think I remember my dad using a large contractor waste bag before. He just made a mound out of lathe curlies, made kind of a pit to place the bag with the roughed bowl in and then he added the DNA to create a little pool like thing.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I've used a large plastic tub with a plywood lid I turned to fit. I put weatherstripping on the edge of the lid, and also added a ball valve to let the air out when I put the lid on. I put a quick-connect fitting on it thinking I might want to use my vacuum pump on it, but it seals well without, and I suspect the vacuum pump would crush the tub. Plus, it's probably not a good idea to pull DNA fumes through a vacuum pump.

I've also done the heavy garbage bag/pile of chips thing for pieces that wouldn't fit in the tub.

That all said, I pretty much stopped using the DNA bath, since I wasn't convinced I was gaining anything. Pieces that I just wrapped in paper and let dry didn't seem to warp or crack any worse than the DNA-treated pieces, and they seemed to dry in about the same length of time, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Now that a fancy DNA container and the color matches the dust collector... What a artist for detail...

Ok forgive me on this but what is this for exactly? Never heard of anything like this.

Ed, a lot of turners soak rough-turned green wood pieces in denatured alcohol for 24 hours or so before drying the piece. There is some evidence that it speeds the drying process and reduces the amount of cracking and warping. Dave Smith is considered to be the grandfather of the process:

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...cles_473.shtml
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com