Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Word of warning - Dust Collection Requirements for Businesses

Word of warning - Dust Collection Requirements for Businesses

This probably doesn't apply to a lot of folks, but I thought I would share some things that have been happening to me lately. Recently I went from home shop to "the real deal" woodworking business. I leased a space, advertised, etc... One thing I didn't realize was the potential expense of local requirements for dust collection. I fully expected to spend a good bit of money on electrical/rent/insurance/overhead, etc... , but dust collection came as a bit of a surprise. A few weeks ago I had an inspector stop by and tell me that I had a lot of work to do to meet the city's requirements. Just thought is was worth letting y'all know that if you're moving shop from one location to another, or going "full time" for the first time that you might want to do a bit of research about what your municipality requires for dust collection. Evidently there is a big push to enforce the NFPA 664 standard, even though small shops don't always seem to fall under it. (But cities can require you to do what they see fit.) Currently I have to invest a huge chunk of money into a professionally installed DC system in order to keep my doors open. Just thought y'all might want to know!

- Hutch

and who said the country wasnt a good place to live
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Seriously, wishing I was livin' the country life.

I'm from the government and I'm here to help you.
    The only thing required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing...www.jbs.org

Oof. That's gotta hurt. Well, Here's hoping you get through it. You sure have the skills to make a go of it.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Frank McKinney View Post
    I'm from the government and I'm here to help you.
    Said no man ever
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Matt I feel your pain. Had the same troubles when we where hanging steel. Every year they seem to come out with new rules that meant I had to lay out big coin to stay in business. I think they must sit around ever year and look over the small business and say well that new rule last year didn't close them down so lets see if this requirement shuts there doors.
    Stupid hurts.

I'd be interested to know what your quotes come out to Matt. Like Brent said, if anyone has the skills to survive that, you've got them.

Chuck, my wife's uncle does steel erection, he did really well for a non-union shop, but he had the opportunity to move to the union side and did, even signed the business over to his wife as 51% owner. Now he can charge the government the same extortion fees they were charging him to balance things out.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Sorry for your undeserved troubles Hutch. I'm just curious; is it a requirement to have the system professionally installed? I know you have more important things to do than hang duct but, I was wondering about the requirement. Thx.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    I'd be interested to know what your quotes come out to Matt. Like Brent said, if anyone has the skills to survive that, you've got them.

Chuck, my wife's uncle does steel erection, he did really well for a non-union shop, but he had the opportunity to move to the union side and did, even signed the business over to his wife as 51% owner. Now he can charge the government the same extortion fees they were charging him to balance things out.
    Funny how that works had a friend/completer that went union and it crushed his erection business. In order to get work he still had to bid the same price I was but in order to cover the union fees he needed to charge 25 to 50% more than everyone else. Plus pay his help more money so they could take home less.
    Stupid hurts.