Pipe Clamp Pads / Stands

glenn bradley

Years ago I had rigged up some pads for my pipe clamps. I don't use pipe clamps often so they ended up just staying on them. They were crude but functional. On a recent project I had a rare need for pipe clamps once again. The old pads were bugging me so I took an hour this morning and made some different ones. Just a piece of scrap ply with a hole drilled in it.

Pipe Clamp Cauls (1).jpg

If your clamp heads don't have small holes for screws (mine didn't) you can easily drill the cast iron.

Pipe Clamp Cauls (2).jpg

I made a quick angle jig to suit this task out of 1/4" MDF. Ignore the box joint ends. This was just a piece of scrap.

Pipe Clamp Cauls (3).jpg . Pipe Clamp Cauls (5).jpg

You end up with your pads and a selection of wedges to shove under all those uneven chair legs one might have around :D.

Pipe Clamp Cauls (6).jpg

And they end up like so . . .

Pipe Clamp Cauls (7).jpg . Pipe Clamp Cauls (8).jpg . Pipe Clamp Cauls (9).jpg

I do a lot of pre-sanding and even some pre-finishing prior to assembly. The pads help keep me from dinging surfaces when clamping and they still fit in the clamp rack.

Pipe Clamp Cauls (10).jpg

Last edited:
Had similar thoughts perhaps 20-25 years ago. Don't recall why I glued the pieces together. Must have had a reason.......I think. ;) Don't recall using them but just a few times. Nevertheless I like yours better. You obviously put more thought into your clamp blocks.

Attachments

• P6020009.jpg
    P6020009.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 20
Great approach to a real issue! I've seen a few solutions over the years and I like yours the best. I'll have to implement it in my spare time. ;)

See, this is where you lost me, Glenn. :rofl:

I still have a couple pipe clamps. somewhere. Not even in my shop. Haven't touched them in 3+ years I think... :eek:

But I'll keep this in mind just in case! :thumb:

You are like me in that respect Art. I know some folks use pipe clamps all the time but, for me they are a rare beast. When you need them, there is really no substitute so I am glad I have them. I rigged a wall rack behind a tall tool cabinet which is on wheels. This keeps them out of the way but, I can still find them when I need them :D:D:D.