Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAS, who uses one?

RAS, who uses one?

Subject says it all.
    Who uses a radial arm saw anymore?

I'm debating moving my fathers RAS into my shop.

Thanks
    John

I got my dad's RAS a year or so ago, I use it for most cross cuts. I grew up using it, so feel comfortable using it. I hardly use my miter saw at all except when I need to make miters, even then I'll many times use my jessem miter on the TS.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I got my FIL's old Red Star a few years ago. It cuts wood like a warm knife through butter.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ion-With-Fence
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

My father had one, I used it to build an entire greenhouse. Wouldn't dream of having one in my shop these days. Thank goodness for my SCMS...

My Dad bought a used Craftsman RAS in, I believe. 1958. I was 12 and we learned the saw together. It now sits in his shop after all these years. The red oak top is in good shape. We have used it to rip, crosscut, miter, compound miters, dados, rabbits, cut molding--about any way the saw can be used has been used. I need to see if there are repair parts for the yoke and arm bearing available--I'm guessing they will be. Some of his neighbors and a couple of my uncles have used it extensively. Dad's philosophy on power tools was pretty simple: You should never fear a machine, but you better respect all of them. I had RASs in my school shops for over 40 years with out one accident of any kind. Newer RASs just ain't what they used to be.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Ive got my grandfathers old dewalt powershop 9" ras in my shop. I dont use it frequently but it is my go to saw when cutting miters. I have a 45 degree jig that mounts to the table and I leave the saw set at 90 to the fence. the right blade is key to avoiding kickback on an RAS. It was one of the first real pieces of equipment I put in my shop as well as a delta contractor saw many years ago. Both have served me well, although the delta is "retired" now and sitting in my trailer.
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest

I'm torn about moving it to my shop. I've used it extensively over the years as his house, just not sure if I"ll use it enough to warrant the space it takes up. I have a compound miter saw that that works well and takes up less space.
    Dados are much easier on the RAS though vs the table saw.

John

I had one many years ago. Can't remember what happened to it

I've been looking on CL for the past few months trying to find a deal on another. I plan on using it mainly for dados.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I have 3, all Dewalts. My first stationary tool was an RAS. That one wasn't so good and went to the recall, but I missed it capabilities. I bought a Dewalt and the RAS sees use on every project. Of the 3 I have only one is setup for use in the shop; but if I had room I'd have 2 of them set up.

I use one. It is dedicated to dadoes.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed