Some time ago I posted a thread about Glenn complaining that awl's just did not fit his hand.
Concepts: 1) Make an awl that would have a handle that would fit a large hand and not become uncomfortable with use.
2) Make a point that would not bend and get off center. 3) Make a point that was easily seen so it could be placed very accurately.
Notice how the point tapers down directly from the handle. This creates a shaft that will not bend. Notice how the final 1/8" of the shaft tapers in more abruptly for strength. That is the same principal as putting a 30 degree final edge on a chisel that is sharpened to 25 degrees; it will take more use.
I made some prototypes out of poplar or something similar. Glenn fondled them and came up with some suggestions. From the suggestions came Mark 1.
Mark 1 was great until I broke it. This is Mark 2 on the lathe.
I stuck it on the drill on the head end of the lathe to apply finish. Finish was 3 coats Clear Seal waxless shellac.
The next pic shows the unassembled handle and point. The pic after that shows all of the file marks on the shank (so I won't break another handle). The point was made by grinding the handle end of a chisel. Since the shank was embedded in plastic, the manufacturer was not too careful about smoothness and roundness. I did not smooth the shank enough for Mark 1 to absorb its insertion.
And, finally we have the finished product.
The wood is mahogany taken directly from a South American pallet. The light wood is hard maple.