Awl

Some time ago I posted a thread about Glenn complaining that awl's just did not fit his hand.

Concepts: 1) Make an awl that would have a handle that would fit a large hand and not become uncomfortable with use.
2) Make a point that would not bend and get off center. 3) Make a point that was easily seen so it could be placed very accurately.

Notice how the point tapers down directly from the handle. This creates a shaft that will not bend. Notice how the final 1/8" of the shaft tapers in more abruptly for strength. That is the same principal as putting a 30 degree final edge on a chisel that is sharpened to 25 degrees; it will take more use.

I made some prototypes out of poplar or something similar. Glenn fondled them and came up with some suggestions. From the suggestions came Mark 1.
Awk Mark 1.jpg

Mark 1 was great until I broke it. This is Mark 2 on the lathe.
Awl Mark 2 still on lathe.jpgAwl Mark 2 on drill bit.jpg

I stuck it on the drill on the head end of the lathe to apply finish. Finish was 3 coats Clear Seal waxless shellac.

The next pic shows the unassembled handle and point. The pic after that shows all of the file marks on the shank (so I won't break another handle). The point was made by grinding the handle end of a chisel. Since the shank was embedded in plastic, the manufacturer was not too careful about smoothness and roundness. I did not smooth the shank enough for Mark 1 to absorb its insertion.
Awl Mark 2 Handle n Point.jpgAwl Mark 2 showing file marks.jpg

And, finally we have the finished product.
Awl Mark 2 Assembled.jpg

The wood is mahogany taken directly from a South American pallet. The light wood is hard maple.

Enjoy,
JimB

Awfully nice work Jim :thumb: could double as a nice plumb-bob too :thumb::thumb:

Dang. I didn't even think of that. We need a ring, eye, something to hang it to use as a plumb bob. We need a design that will allow the hand to push down on the top so that the awl can leave its mark. However, we need the top nice and smooth or it won't be too comfortable to push down on the top. What to do?

Enjoy,
JimB

I've seen plumb bobs that just had a small hole in the top. The string came out through it and was able to be wrapped up on a spindle inside the handle. The handle unscrewed so you could re-wind. I don't have a picture or remember where I saw them though. Hmm I bet you could re-purpose some sort of auto-rewind mechanism into something like that...

And since no one else has said it.. Awwwwlll Yeaaah!