Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Brown Truck came up the drive tonight

Big Brown Truck came up the drive tonight

Dropped off two boxes, both from Amazon with free shipping. UPS driver was surprised and told me with the weight of the one box (137 pounds) and the other over 40 pounds that I would have had over $150.00 in shipping! So he backed up to my pickup and we slid them off of his brown truck onto the black tailgate of my truck. Sooooo, I tell Lou that I will wait for one of the son in laws tomorrow but need to get them into the shop. Backed up to the door, slid them in the shop no problem. Of course the light box I put on the workbench, cut it open and checked out the contents. I bought a Swisher dry spreader (http://www.amazon.com/Swisher-Spread.../dp/B000N5ZFN4). Only I don't have a UTV or ATV and am going to use it to spread some urea (nitrogen) on my hayfields. So have to build some brackets and attach it to my forecart which looks like this (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...Q9QEwBg&dur=32). Will try to get pictures of the ponies working and spreading urea on the hayfield soon. Think Eric will have me seeding and fertilizing food plots next year!

Okay, onto box #2, the heavyweight which by the way is not sitting on the floor of the shop but up on the shelf where it belongs. Oh my aching back, when will I learn??? Anyway, finally couldn't live without one. Bought this (http://www.amazon.com/JWL-1221VS-12-.../dp/B00BGBVJCU). Man is it a beaut!!!! No I did not turn anything or mount a piece of wood on it, but did run it through its paces and it is quiet and smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth!! Everything lines up, fit and finish look impeccable!!!! I can't wait for a rainy day now!!!!!!!!!!

First cutting of hay is a wrap. Legitimately a wrap. Worried about rain, cut hay Sunday, baled Tuesday, wrapped them Wednesday in plastic. So theoretically made haylage for the cows, well, the feeder calves as we are selling our cow herd this summer/fall. Steve, been wondering how the weather was for you and your haymaking, hope all has gone well there. Working on a wood project before next cutting of hay. Planning on putting up loose hay and building a buckrake for my tractor. Some places call it a hay sweep, this is what I am talking about (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJPT8SvJiqU). Until my ponies are broke well enough to pull a mower, I will continue to pay to have the hay cut, but they should be able to rake the hay and then I can put it in the barn with the buckrake. Cutting my costs tremendously.

Well, in a nutshell, that is what has been happening here the past week.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

We are doing pretty good down here. Hit and miss showers are making it interesting. We did buy a new mower this year.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Congrats on the new toys, Jon. That's a sweet lathe for sure.

And I was gonna make some crass joke about the urea fertilizer spreader, but I didn't want to embarrass Larry.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Congrats, Jon!
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

I'd have to think it would be quite a sight to see a lot of the farm work being done with horses the way you do Jon. More power to you for going that route.

I'm sure your horses have more fun the most of the ones I see here in the valley. Well, at least the domesticated ones. Most of those I see penned up all day long, all the time. You hardly ever see anyone actually paying attention to their horses.

We had some wild ones stop by today, I like to think even with their harder lifestyle, they have to enjoy it a bit more.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

So you are obviously taking the shot at getting your money's worth for prime. The fore cart setup sure looks like a good deal. Oddly even when we did 100% of the farming with horses we never used one of those.

Enjoy the lathe. Progress reports are expected.
    Are you getting out of the cow business completely?
    We sold out about seven years ago. Several drought years killed us financially, it was time to give it up. I still miss them.
    That is a nice mess of hay, looks good.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

A good spreader can't be beat. and the other....great toy.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    We are doing pretty good down here. Hit and miss showers are making it interesting. We did buy a new mower this year.
    Those intermittent showers are what caused me to decide to bag the first cutting. It eventually stayed dry enough that I could have made regular hay, but hindsight. After last year, glad to have 29 bags plus the 30 I bought made from a rye field this spring with the heads on. Good luck in your hay making.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Congrats on the new toys, Jon. That's a sweet lathe for sure.

And I was gonna make some crass joke about the urea fertilizer spreader, but I didn't want to embarrass Larry.
    What little I played with it, that VS is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!! Fit and finish and headstock and tailstock line up picture perfect.
    Jon