Thread: sic transit gloria

just south of the LA/MS border off of I-55

sic transit gloria

One of my very first bowls to survive turning glued down in the middle of a terracotta base to feed the cat instead of the ants. At least nobody can call it a dog food bowl!

Hu
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cat food bowl 002post.jpg  

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

That's a good idea, no ant problem, right now, but it would certainly keep them from knocking the bowl over. Not sure I understand how it keeps the ants out, do you put water in the terracotta portion?
    "We the People ......"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    That's a good idea, no ant problem, right now, but it would certainly keep them from knocking the bowl over. Not sure I understand how it keeps the ants out, do you put water in the terracotta portion?
    Paul,

That is exactly it, a little water discourages the ants. I was just going to use a heavy glass or pottery bowl in the middle but naturally none were to be had that were suitable and safe to use without risking lynching. Couldn't even find a plastic container to glue down on short notice so I looked at the wood. Several candidates, this was the one I liked least. I didn't want the cat to think she was too uptown anyway, give her too fancy of a bowl and she would expect fish or steak in it every day!

Hu

I've done a similar thing with plastic bowls, works great. How do you think the wood will stand up to the water??
    Jesus was a Woodworker

since it is glued down, the entertainment value of the cat chasing a floating bowl of it's food is gone....
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Dan M,

I don't know how it is going to hold up, I put a couple coats of lacquer on the outside of the bowl after putting a coat thinned with acetone for penetration.

Dan N,

You are a cruel and heartless person! I don't know how you could think of such a thing. The terracotta is too small anyway. I will have to find a bigger bottom container, no fun until she has to decide to stick a paw in the water or not . . .

Hu

I did one for my sister similar but used several coats of tung oil finish. It is a year old and still doing well.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    I did one for my sister similar but used several coats of tung oil finish. It is a year old and still doing well.
    Good to know about the tung oil. I didn't have any but considered linseed oil. I just coated the outside of the bowl to not have to worry about contamination if my finish broke down.

You are braver than I am, my sister would do me great bodily harm if I tried to get her to eat out of a bowl like that!

Hu