Bubble Visor ANSI Rating ?

Mike Turner

I received a catalog from Crafts Supplies USA and the Bubble Visor in it describes it as ANSI Z87.1+ rated. On their website they describe it as ANSI 1+. . On the Bubble Visor it has a sticker with ANSI Z87.1. From my reading the best rating is Z87.1+. The "+" being the kicker. Now I know none of these are going to take a very hard hit and protect you but my other visor had the same one as this one. I thought from the catalog I was getting Z87.1+. I emailed them and will see what they say...Any ideas or input on differences?

I received a catalog from Crafts Supplies USA and the Bubble Visor in it describes it as ANSI Z87.1+ rated. On their website they describe it as ANSI 1+. . On the Bubble Visor it has a sticker with ANSI Z87.1. From my reading the best rating is Z87.1+. The "+" being the kicker. Now I know none of these are going to take a very hard hit and protect you but my other visor had the same one as this one. I thought from the catalog I was getting Z87.1+. I emailed them and will see what they say...Any ideas or input on differences?

Kinda tells me that the visor met the Z87.1 testing with no damages, so it obviously exceeds the standard. Hence the "+". It's an excellent visor, btw.

Last edited:
When I started teaching in 1986 safety glasses were "highly suggested" in the shop. I made them a requirement and the industry really has responded with better fitting, more modern designed glasses than what we had in the 60's and 70's with those ugly grey/green glasses and mesh side guards. Each of my students have to purchase their own and they must meet at the minimum Z87 requirements. I took a bunch of FFA kids to the Fort Wayne farm show and they always look at the cool safety glasses displayed by the company and their rep always comments to me about my student's knowledge of needing at least the Z87 requirement. Anything after the decimal just means it more than meets that requirement. It is not a fail safe, but sure better than nothing.

Kinda tells me that the visor met the Z87.1 testing with no damages, so it obviously exceeds the standard. Hence the "+". It's an excellent visor, btw.

I can attest to that... mine has taken several pretty severe knocks (now that I wear it every time I turn, since getting smacked by a flying bowl) and
hasn't sustained any damage from the wood... can't say the same for the flying CA... you can't get it off the face shield without ruining the finish/visibility of the shield. (DAMHIKT)

I saw the post on another fourm and responded. However, is this the visor in question?
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/5/-/20/89/-/995/Craft-Supplies-USA-Bubble-Visor/visor
If so they have removed the + in their listing.

Z87.1 in a nutshell.

Without the + it must withstand a 1" ball dropped from 50" (Inches). No velocity test.

With the + it must withstand a pointed oject of about 1.5 pounds dropped from the same 50 inches.
It must also withstand a high velocity test of a 1/4" steel ball projected at 100+ miles per hour.
The + must be embossed in the shield during manufacture.