Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Rattlesnake

Big Rattlesnake

Almost twenty years ago I came across a canebrake rattlesnake that had been hit by a car that was 7 feet 2 inches long and had 14 rattles and I thought that was a big snake.

I came across this post on FaceBook where a father and son near Midway, Texas were hunting wild hogs from a blind when this snake poked his head in. The son shot and killed it.

It is supposedly 9' 6" long with 22 rattles. Now I am not particularly afraid of snakes but if I came across this monster I would hope I either had plenty of running room or a weapon other than a hoe to deal with it. This snake is big enough to make a belt for a turner with the largest turning muscle......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big rattlesnake.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	76424
    Last edited by Mike Stafford; 06-19-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

If the picture is real it's amazing

Maybe the guy holding it is really only 3 feet tall
    Faith, Hope & Charity

While I agree that's a large snake I have to disagree with the 9 ft long claim, looks like a well angled shot to gain a couple of feet, plus that photo has been out for a while with a lot of different story lines.

Re: Big Rattlesnake

This is a case where i think the guy was a real idiot to kill the snake.
    Hey i dont like any snakes, but from what really little i know you guys have a wild hog problem in Texas and other parts and this is one of the natural predators that obviously to get to this size was pretty sharp at getting food.
    Now hogs are dancing a jig. Just my 5 cents.
    We humans need to learnt to share the bounty.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Harden View Post
    While I agree that's a large snake I have to disagree with the 9 ft long claim, looks like a well angled shot to gain a couple of feet, plus that photo has been out for a while with a lot of different story lines.
    Photo looks legit to me. Although, I know anything can be done with PhotoShop these days. If real, that is a monster. A bite would be deadly to a man in well under an hour. Deserves to be dead. The whole animal would make an incredible mounting.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Although there's no doubt that's a big ol' honkin' snake, I've gotta agree with Larry on this one...the world record length for an Eastern Diamondback is about a foot and a half shorter than this claim. And I don't think there are a lot of Eastern Diamondbacks in Texas. Also, the picture has has attributed to several different stories over the years. As far as the photo manipulation is concerned, no Photoshop necessary. It's forced perspective. The guy holding the snake is holding a stick over which the snake is draped. With the average point-n-shoot camera, a 2' long stick could skew the perspective quite a bit, and still have everything in the picture in focus.

Here's a bit more 'perspective'...

http://www.livingalongsidewildlife.c...ttlesnake.html

That said, I agree with Mike. If I saw this bad boy in the wild, I'd be hoping I had something a bit more substantial than a garden hoe to kill it with. (Or at least I would be hoping that after I stopped screaming like a little girl.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Speaking of snakes...saw this on Facebook this morning...

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Ok, Well Thanks for the nightmare fuel guys!

I'm sure I'm going to have dreams tonight about giant rattlesnakes opening the door to the house...

Haven't seen a single rattler this year though, since I got rid of all the chipmunks that were hanging around.

Seems like if you remove the food source, you remove the predator. Knock on wood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09-wd1109-Superstitions-2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	76431
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

The last time I came across a rattler was at least years ago...with a Mossberg 12ga equiped with a riot barrel. I shot first from 4 feet...I heard he was yummy!! To be blunt...there is no doubt I'd shoot a 6" sand snake cuz I'm a weiner around snakes!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    The last time I came across a rattler was at least years ago...with a Mossberg 12ga equiped with a riot barrel. I shot first from 4 feet...I heard he was yummy!! To be blunt...there is no doubt I'd shoot a 6" sand snake cuz I'm a weiner around snakes!!
    My first gun ever, a little single shot Ithaca .410. I call it the magic snake head eraser. I've got a deep rooted snake-o-phobia, but have learned to tolerate, respect, and like the non poisonous guys. Especially with the rodents we have around here. Poisonous snakes though, that's another story altogether.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash