Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittling hopefully leading to some carving

Whittling hopefully leading to some carving

I plan on making a how to on the tools I used for this but figured I need to get back into posting so this is my start at whittling and beginning to carve.

My wife and I now empty nesters (well kinda or wishful) have been giving thought to things we can do together now kids are not our main focus.

Also with having a travel trailer we want something to do around the campsite other than walks etc.

So believe it or not guys Linda actually came up with carving. I jumped at the opportunity and the rest is history.

But first to test my dear wife's desires and ensure they were not merely inline with trying to please me I set up for us to have trial go at some carving.

Did not want to spend loads of loot on tools so made some which I will post a tips sheet about for others to try. Suffice to say my carving tools cost less than $10 and that includes blades bought from Lee Valley.

Anyhow found a video on You tube on how to carve a wood spirit and I quiet liked the guys whole manner so downloaded it.

Part 1

Part 2

Got some blocks of bass wood together around 1.5 inch square and over this past weekend while away at Pinery Provincial Park we sat down one afternoon and got stuck in.

I had planned to try draw in some friends that went along, by whittling a whistle from some drift wood I found on the lake shore the day before we started. But they did not bite. They had a half hearted go but said its just not their thing.

Any enough of the blabber here are my first attempts at chipping away a whistle and a spirit carving. Don't expect much this was only a hour or so effort.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firstwoodspirit.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	76427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whittledwhistle.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	76428

Good thing is Linda is hooked and keen and I get to buy some nice wood carving tools to really get into it. Will look to pick up a set of Pfeil carving chisels when I go to USA next by road.

Thank you Toni for the carving inspiration.
    cheers

Looks pretty good for a first go around. A little more refinement on the spirit and it'd be about all you could want.

One caution is that (for me) whittling tools are a bit different than carving tools. I prefer to be at a bench where I can lock things down a little more for support and the whittling tools are more like knives where you can "free hand". There is obviously some overlap.

I've really enjoyed this book on whittling: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/048...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    although I honestly haven't really done nearly as much as I'd hoped to Maybe once I'm no longer fully employed.

Nice job on both Rob, turned out real nice.

I've got the Warren shank carvers (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...30,43332,44062), which I turned my own handles back when I still had a lathe and epoxied each to their own rather than sharing one handle for all.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Thanks for the book recommendation Ryan. Yeah i recognise the hand held versus getting it held down aspect. . This was just to get into at the campsite. Actually i took a couple of clamps with to clamp the wood to the picnic table provided.

My future carving endeavours will be clamped down. So will Lindas after my observations of her with a knife in her hand.

Darren i will have a look at those when i am next in the store. What are they like for holding an edge?

I got sent a couple of books for inspiration by our resident carver in Spain. He has great expectations of me.

But this whittling is sure entertaining as long as you follow the knife holding techniques.

Oh another Thank you goes out to Christine, for sending me the chip carving knife for Halloween way back when. That really kicked off the interest.

My initial goal is to be able to carve some shells for decoration at least to the equivalent standard to that of what my eldest son did when he was in school. This is of course part of a father son contest on the side.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Darren i will have a look at those when i am next in the store. What are they like for holding an edge?
    They've held up pretty well, I think I paid around $60 for the entire set about 7-8 years ago. I've only really used them for carving bass wood or minor cuts on popular and cherry, but held up as well as any of my Pfeil and flexcut chisels.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

When we go on camping trips, I always take a little bag full of whittling tools. I'm astoundingly bad at whittling, but I don't let it stop me for a second.

You are way ahead of me skill wise. Mine look like something a small child would make...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    flexcut chisels.
    So I got a couple of flexcuts on sale a couple of years back and honestly I haven't been exceptionally enthused. I suspect it may be as much a point of method more than anything else (its me, not the tool) but I found the "flex" somewhat annoying and hard to control and they seemed somewhat more difficult to sharpen than some of my other chisels (I really like carving chisels near razor sharp, and these seemed a bit more difficult to get there for some reason I haven't quantified, its possible that I just haven't spent enough initial quality time on them).

I am curious if others feel the same way or like them a lot and if the latter what sort of carving you do and how you sharpen them?

I've got a set of the flex cuts. I suspect it's probably me, but I have trouble sharpening just about anything. Especially if it's not a flat straight line. Chisels and Knifes, I've got jigs and methods to do them, but carving tools are another story.

I tend to use a strop though to keep them sharp, once I manage to get a sharp edge on them.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Rob good job on your first go round. I have a few cheep sets, and a set of greenlee. Not really sure how they compare to anything else, but for what i do they wook ok. i know if i was better at sharping they would work a lot better. Got these greenlee from my father in law years ago, so really don't know if they are consider good, bad or indifferent. I like them though.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001 (800x579).jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	76463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002 (800x618).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	76464

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    (I really like carving chisels near razor sharp, //snip
    Hey Ryan... What do you mean "near razor sharp?" They should be razor sharp! How can you like them if they are not? On the other hand, as far as I have seen ( I don't own any) flexcut gouges are thought to be used single handed, so the way to control them is pushing with your palm and controlling with your thum and index finger while the other three rest on the wood as if they were your left hand. Or at least this is how I would do it. You can use your index and middle finger of your left hand ocasionally to control. Hope this helps.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...