Incra TS-LS52 Question

Bill Arnold

Staff member
I'm in the planning stages of the next upgrade to my shop tool lineup. I'm four to six months away from pulling the trigger because, as usual, I'll think the decision to death! :huh:

I'll address the table saw decision in a different thread, but coupled with that will be the purchase of the item in the title of this thread: an Incra TS-LS52 fence system. I've studied this item for years, so am fairly familiar with it, with one exception: the amount of space needed to the right of the blade. Yeah, I understand I can make a cut up to 52" wide (long), but the LS carriage has to extend further. I'm assuming I'll need about 3' beyond the Incra rails to accommodate the carriage. Is that in the neighborhood? In other words, if the Incra rails are 92", I'll need a total of 124" to 128" to allow maximum carriage movement. Sheesh! Am I beating this to death?
:deadhorse:

Thanks in advance for your kind and able assistance!

Not beating it to death...it's a legitimate consideration. I don't have my Incra setup handy to measure from, and don't have the same model, but yeah, when moved fully to the right, the Incra jig extends another 2 1/2' to 3' beyond the rails. In my shop, I keep a clear path on an adjacent bench for that arm to move into.

Bill, yes if I understand the question. I have the 32" set up and the sliding carriage that is connected to the fence extends around 31" beyond the rails when I have it set to cut a 32" wide piece. With the 52" I would think you need close to 52" beyond the rails clearance. They have the manuals on the Incremental Tools website. If I haven't answered the question, maybe it is in the online manual.

http://www.incra.com/product_manuals.htm

P.S. I've only had my fence about 4 weeks and still learning how to use it but so far I am very very happy with it. It has taken me awhile to get use to and totally confident in it, I still want to measure and tap the fence, but I'm beginning to realize the fence positioner is much more accurate than my measuring and tapping. You well love it I am sure.

Know nothing about the positioner but I don't think you should beat yourself up for thinking it through. I could have saved myself fortunes if I had done that more often. Since hanging with you guys here I do better but I am still prone to pulling triggers impulsively and they always seem to bite me back.

Sign of intellect to think it through rather than have buyers remorse. That's what I try telling myself.

Bill, yes if I understand the question. I have the 32" set up and the sliding carriage that is connected to the fence extends around 31" beyond the rails when I have it set to cut a 32" wide piece. With the 52" I would think you need close to 52" beyond the rails clearance. They have the manuals on the Incremental Tools website. If I haven't answered the question, maybe it is in the online manual. ...

I had looked at the manual online and it gives plenty of assembly detail, but I saw nothing about clearance requirement to the right of the rails. Both the 32" and 52" use the 32" positioner carriage, with the base being placed where you need it along the rails. I have my current table saw surrounded on three sides with support tables, the overall width being 124", so it appears I won't need any additional space - just re-arranging the exact position of my saw.

Thanks, everyone!

Does that mean with the 52" you have to move the positioner carriage on the rails to use the full cutting capabilities?

It is very easy to move, but an added step.

The only complaint I've had with mine so far is it requires two different allen wrenches. Most bolts use the same nice wrench but a few adjustments on the miter gauge are done with a different size. Just a little pet peeve of mine on tools, I hate having to use allen wrenches of different sizes on the same tool. My bandsaw is the worst for that.

Does that mean with the 52" you have to move the positioner carriage on the rails to use the full cutting capabilities?

It is very easy to move, but an added step.

The only complaint I've had with mine so far is it requires two different allen wrenches. Most bolts use the same nice wrench but a few adjustments on the miter gauge are done with a different size. Just a little pet peeve of mine on tools, I hate having to use allen wrenches of different sizes on the same tool. My bandsaw is the worst for that.

Yes, the carriage base has to be relocated along the rails, depending on the width of cut. Now, from a practical standpoint, I rarely make a cut wider than 32", but I don't want to limit my saw - just in case.

I'll have to take a look at the allen wrench business. I have a couple of the allen wrench screwdriver type tools that come with the router fence. I was assuming the TS would have similar arrangements. Oh, darn!

A magnet strip and spare t handle or screwdriver handle Allen wrenches, along with other adjustment wrenches on each tool is really nice.

That's what I've done with my bandsaws. For other tools, I have necessary items on a pegboard wall a step or two away. I hate having to walk into the other room to get something, then forget why I went there! :huh:

I have the Incra 72 inch rail system, with a router table mounted at the end of the right saw table extension. The positioner will extend about 28 inches past the end of my table, at full extension. You should be good, as it will extend about the same with the 92 inch rails. You will love the Incra but it takes a little getting used to. I still catch myself looking down at the end of the fence, for the scale, instead of over on the positioner. Accurate cuts and repeatability are just unreal with the LS.