Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dado blades?

Dado blades?

I'm thinking about getting a stacked dado set.
    I've only ever used an adjustable dado so I have no point of reference.

The adjustable can sometimes be a PITA to get it set to the correct width. I have 2 of them. 1 has set screws that when you get the width set it will stay there when you remove the blade. The other is totally variable and does not keep its position when removed from the saw.

How does a stack compare to a variable dado?

What stack to you recommend?

I see HD has a Diablo and an Avanti

Thanks,

John

John,

I have the Freud SD208 set and have had it for several years. It is an 8" set and it works well. It comes with a set of shims to make up for the varying thicknesses of wood or plywood. I looked and it can be bought for $84 at Amazon currently.

It gives me a nice flat bottom on dados. Because plywood can vary in thickness, even using a stacked set requires one to perform a set up for a given thickness of plywood.

I was recently amazed to find a local source for oak veneered plywood that is truly 3/4" thick and I didn't have to spend much time messing with the shims to get a good snug fit on dados.

Everything considered, I would buy my Freud SD208 set again.
    Ken
    ------

The only thing about the stacked dado is you sometimes have to shims to get the right width. That's really not any harder than tweaking the dial on an adjustable one. The adjustable I have (an older Craftsman model) always cut wider dados with a curved bottom. The way the blade wobbles makes a sweeping arc that always irratated me. I went to a Freud set and have been quite happy. It's been a while since I've seen any tool reviews on them, but typically the Forrest Dado King was always awarded "top tool", with the Freud 508 set closely behind. But for best value, it was almost always the Freud SD 208 set. The Infinity Dadonator gets a lot of praise as well, but it's another of the $200 or so sets. My set (the Freud 508) is over 14 years old, and on it's third sharpening....and still performing like new. I think the Freud Dial a Width is a stacked dado that you fine tune by dialing a slight wobble into it...they claim flat bottoms with it. I would skip HD and go to an online blade/bit dealer, but that's just me.
    Last edited by fred hargis; 06-20-2013 at 12:25 PM.

I have the Frend set and it is good, however I rarely use it. If I used dado's often I would invest in a much better, hence more expensive setup. The only problem I have with it is playing with the shims. They, at least for me, can be a bugger to get on and off the threaded arbor shaft. Plus figuring what shim is what thickness. Mine are not marked so I have to get out the caliper to measure them. But of occasional use they get the job done. I also have the Craftsman dial on and I have to admit it does almost as clean cuts as the stacked. That old blade wobbling back and for at high speed is a bit intimidating to me.
    "We the People ......"

I've never used the expensive ones the others are talking about. I bought my first set from HF and they have done everything I have wanted from them. I said first set because they were cheap enough I bought another set when they got dull. When we built onto our house, the wall between the wall between the two girls bedrooms is 2x6 with dadoed shelves. Half of the wall is covered on one side, the other on the other side so each girl got 1/2 the wall as floor to ceiling shelves. I don't have any idea of how many dadoes the first set did. So, just thought I would throw that out there. Of course remember, I have no experience with the other sets.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Re: Dado blades?

I have the SD608 by freud with the adjustable aspect built into the outside blade. It allows u to dial the width in perfectly.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Mibro-416371-8.../dp/B000HE87VI

I'm happy with it, and haven't felt any reason to upgrade.

I purchased my first stacked dado set a couple months back...I believe that the work you get out is related to the work you put in.

I took 2-3 hours to make width-test boards for the common sizes plus various shims +/- those sizes. It definitely took a while and, yes, it was repetitive, but using my width boards, I can setup my stack perfectly almost every time. I don't think I've ever had to make more than 2 test cuts for a width.... if the 1st test isn't perfect, the 2nd always is.

I've had several but the freud is by far the best. It was around $100.00
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    I have the Frend set and it is good, however I rarely use it. If I used dado's often I would invest in a much better, hence more expensive setup. The only problem I have with it is playing with the shims. They, at least for me, can be a bugger to get on and off the threaded arbor shaft. Plus figuring what shim is what thickness. Mine are not marked so I have to get out the caliper to measure them. But of occasional use they get the job done. I also have the Craftsman dial on and I have to admit it does almost as clean cuts as the stacked. That old blade wobbling back and for at high speed is a bit intimidating to me.
    Paul, that's a common complaint about the shims being a bugger to get on and off. There used to be a Freud rep frequenting forums I visit, and he was unapologetic about it, they were designed that way (can't remember the reason). But I did measure mine and mark the size on them with a permanent marker.