Thread: Thompson "V" Versus "U" Bowl Gouges

Laurinburg NC

Thompson "V" Versus "U" Bowl Gouges

I have a 4 Thompson gouges....1/2" spindle gouge, a 3/8"V Bowl gouge, 1/2" V Bowl gouge and 5/8" V Bowl gouge...All are great tools but I am still learning on them. I am yet to try a "U" bowl and I have a birthday coming up in August so I am looking to hear how they compare if someone has used both. I do love his tools! Has anyone tried the 3/4" bowl gouges too?

ABQ NM
    If you don't have a U shaped Thompson, that would be a good addition. Ultimately, you'll probably end up with two in each U and one V. For me, I find the U shape is handier on the insides of bowls, and the V is handier on the outside, particularly when I'm doing shearing cuts with the wings of the gouge.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    I have four of the Thompson turning tools. I purchased three and one came as a gift from a very wonderful person. When I wanted to pay for it I was told, "Pass it forward." They are excellent tools. They sharpen well and easily. They stay sharp longer, even in hickory (a real tool duller).

Even though I have had a lathe for several years I have used it very little until recently. So, even though I have a fair amount of "book learnin'" on the subject, I still consider myself a rank amateur. Vaughn, on the other hand, does beautiful sophisticated turning---pay attention to him!

We have other excellent turners. I am sure you have seen their threads with pictures and explanations. You can figure out who they are; pay extra attention to their comments.

Enjoy your turning,

First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.

Reno, Nv
    My 3\8 "U" is the go to gouge for just about anything. I have the V also, but find myself using the V much more.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Goodland, Kansas
    Jim my go to is a 1/2" and 3/8" U but I also use the V's which I have two of the same as the U's.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.