Tilt Box II?

I am considering buying a digital inclinometer, the Beal Tilt Box II.

Does anyone have any experience with the Tilt Box II?

I have an original and a Type II. Original is a bit larger. Type II has magnets on both side like the Type I but also has them on the bottom. The Type II also has a hold button; in practice I don't find I use this feature but, it could be handy for someone else.

Til Box Compare (1).jpg . Til Box Compare (2).jpg

I use it to set jointer fence, tablesaw blade tilt, drill press table, sander tables . . . I guess all sorts of tables. I also use it to set cutter angles for re-shaping or major angle changes.

WS3K-Spokeshave-jig 4.jpg

The Wixey shown above worked very well but, did not survive the accidental drop test. The smaller Beall Type II is easier to use on the tablesaw blade than it's larger predecessor but, this is just an observation, not a problem.

Last edited:
Glenn, Have you noticed any difference in 'sensitivity'? probably just need to get my tablesaw off the mobile base and right on the floor, but occasionally I have a bit of an issue getting my original tiltbox to initialize to 0.

Maybe it's a technique thing, but I find that after I can press the set button and it will show 0, then read slightly off of 0 as I release my grip on the box.

I have the original Wixey and when I had a battery for it I used it a lot. After the last battery went dead, I keep forgetting to get a new one when at a store. They are both about the same price, considering Wixey has free shipping. I have been contemplating getting Wixey II, because it has more features and more importantly it uses AAA batteries which I always have on hand. The Beall uses 9 volt which are more expensive, but probably last longer. The Wixey II have bigger magnets, but I don't know that is necessary, the original seemed to stick to thing very well.

The real purpose of my post is I think they are a very useful item regardless of which one you purchase.

I also have the original and although it is on the bigger side I have not had any issues at all with it. I use it for a lot of set ups with great results. I also like the fact that it uses a standard 9v battery which a have on hand.

Glenn, Have you noticed any difference in 'sensitivity'? probably just need to get my tablesaw off the mobile base and right on the floor, but occasionally I have a bit of an issue getting my original tiltbox to initialize to 0.

Maybe it's a technique thing, but I find that after I can press the set button and it will show 0, then read slightly off of 0 as I release my grip on the box.

Both versions will do this as did the Wixey before them. I believe it is 'technique' or simply the introduction of the human-element :peek:. The method I have found that works for me on any of the three is to stand the cube where I want to zero it, place a firm downward pressure with the tip of one finger on the top of the cube and press the zero button with my thumb by squeezing the cube between thumb and forefinger. The Tilt Box II is least prone to this with credit going to the very strong magnets on the bottom (I still hold it down anyway). However, straddling the table-proper and the throat insert, not noticing a little piece of spoil that you're setting on, the spring in your mobile base or some other human-like things that we do will circumvent this "fix" :doh:. Then again, maybe not everyone is a klutz like us :D.

Last edited:
Years ago Glenn talked me into purchasing a Wixey. It was one of the many useful "talked me into its" that he has done. I have been happy with the Wixey. I have not use the Beal so I have no info there. The main thing is that the concept is there and the thing is very useful. I would hate to be without one, regardless of brand.

You will enjoy it,
JimB

I believe it is 'technique' or simply the introduction of the human-element :peek:. The method I have found that works for me on any of the three is to stand the cube where I want to zero it, place a firm downward pressure with the tip of one finger on the top of the cube and press the zero button with my thumb by squeezing the cube between thumb and forefinger.

That confirms my hypothesis. For it to be accurate, it has to be 'sensitive' and I've always thought it was just me. Sometimes it just takes a few tries before I can get it to read 0.00 on the flat. But it is a very handy tool. Just wish I'd have used it the first time I glued up my table top...

I have one of these and use it often not sure which brand it is but my only complaint about the version I have is that it uses the button cell batteries in particular the CR2032 and if one leaves the battery in it then it tends to drain the battery even when off. So I find i tend to use it less than i would if the battery did not have to be kept out to save it. Good to hear the versions coming out with AAA and i did not know about 9v at all.