slightly less horrible box

This isn't much. the only reason I am posting it is that I hardly ever get to use my shop for what it is meant for and even this thing was fun. I just never have any time for anything it seems. a few months ago a friend asked me if I would make his box a little less horrible. I said I would when I had time and finally did it. It was something his wife got him for Christmas. She thought it was an antique for some reason. It was really the most useless box I ever saw. 10 drawers, all 1/2" high. and they weren't even separated by anything. so my friend asked for dividers.

I re used the top and the drawers, Even though I thought the drawers were ugly. The point was to fix his box and not make a whole new one. I made all the parts out of cedar. the dividers are a different kind of cedar than the sides. I took the bottom out of one of the drawer and tacked 2 together so at least one of them would be taller.

So there is a few hours of wood working. He gets to put on the finish if he wants it.

I just made 2 pieces to cover the front edges. I have not attached them yet. Not sure if I like them because they stick out in front.

Attachments

• bobs box.jpg
    bobs box.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 50
  • bobs box with edges.jpg
    bobs box with edges.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Cabinets like this are often used for music, and sometimes for art or drawings. Dividers are not normally used between the drawers because they take away from the storage space.

You might put a strip like you used on the sides, across the top - I bet that will make it look better.

Cabinets like this are often used for music, and sometimes for art or drawings. Dividers are not normally used between the drawers because they take away from the storage space.

You might put a strip like you used on the sides, across the top - I bet that will make it look better.

I'm not sure if that explains its design. The drawers are only 5" deep so it would have to be some pretty narrow art.

I thought of the strip across the top but then it would hide some of the top and it was the only part that made it look a little an antique. My friend seems to like it they way it is in the first picture so its probably staying like that.