My first try at a goblet months ago was end grain tree limb. Tiny pith on both ends, a great large hole where I planned a stem to be! Having learned my lesson I decided to try another goblet out of some sycamore that was hanging in a tree yesterday. Knew it was reaction wood, the limb had jumped up about a foot when smaller limbs were trimmed off of it. Maybe I hadn't learned my lesson . . .
Didn't take it long to prove it was reaction wood, soon as I stress relieved it a little bit it started moving. I was set on a simple goblet, resisted temptation to put a full bead on the rim and the stem. Left the stem massive because while the pith should be to one side a little bit, it does run through the stem. A few minor details but I turned something that looked a lot like a goblet. All that remained was to relief cut the base a little bit so it would sit nicely on a shelf and part it off the waste block.
Ha, I'm getting pretty good at this wood turning thingie! I'm turning away one-handed while patting myself on the back with the other and telling myself how wonderful I am. Thrack!! biggest catch I have had in weeks and two big chunks out of the base of the goblet. Apparently the turning gods don't like you daydreaming and patting yourself on the back until the job is done!
First impulse was to remove it from the chuck with my bowl tweaking tool. Fortunately it wasn't in reach so I had time to cogitate. That lower lump on the stem is the old base, the new base is only about a quarter inch smaller diameter than the main body of the bowl, perspective makes it look much smaller. Lucky I had a fair sized waste block under this piece. Just sanded with 100 on the lathe, gonna take some power sanding to deal with the tool mark on the inside but overall the bowl is a pretty nicely shaped roughly eighth inch thick. A little larger than four inches diameter by seven inches tall. Slapped a little sanding lacquer on it and called it a day. Still have other work to do.
edit: Jim was right, just needed to get off my duff! turned the stem down today and sanded out the piece. First coat of lacquer on it again, will complete the finish job over the next few days. Still need to make something to hold the piece to remove the tenon under the base. The bowl of the goblet came out very nice other than a little lopsided underneath due to the wood moving so much while turning. Probably leave it as is, could sand more but this was turned as reaction wood to begin with, I am not dealing with anything that was unexpected in the beginning other than the minor detail of blowing up the base!
Thanks Jim. It was the end of a long day yesterday and I was ready to walk away from an indifferent effort. The work today makes it worth putting on the shelf as my first goblet.