Thread: Bittersweet Woodwork

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan

Bittersweet Woodwork

Such a shame no one wanted to mill this, straight grained & beautiful red oak, but I'll get over it come wintertime
    Gifted from a neighbor who lost a few upper branches to a storm and decided to take her all down....'gifted' Ha, I may want to change that word for some choice C.O.C. no-no's man these are some heavy blocks, quite the workout I'm getting...yeah yeah I know I need it

So I guess I could say that 'Burning wood' continues

Oh yeah, the Mrs has been watching me like a hawk...sez she's concerned with my health but I know it's more about her garden area and any potential damage
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mini-001.jpg   mini-002.jpg   mini-003.jpg   mini-004.jpg  
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cook View Post
    Oh yeah, the Mrs has been watching me like a hawk...sez she's concerned with my health but I know it's more about her garden area and any potential damage
    Maybe she's "concerned for your health if you don't get it put away asap" :P

Sad but it does look like some killer firewood!

And a LOT of firewood!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Maybe she's "concerned for your health if you don't get it put away asap" :P
    So you've met her it seems

That should keep you busy thru the weekend! Glad to see you have a splitter.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I was visiting my son last winter in CT and decided to build a fire in the fireplace. I went out to the woodpile and brought in some kindling and a couple of good sized logs. I started the kindling burning, but the logs wouldn't catch. I tried for more than an hour to get that fire started....used up the WHOLE sunday paper. Come to find out, the logs were white oak. Something like trying to start a fire with rocks. My son said they burn great if you put them on a good hot fire that is already well started, but I could have tried all day and not got a fire with kindling.
    Sharon Wertz, Phoenix, AZ

http://lowcarbliving.webs.com/

It looks like a nice cozy winter (or two), you'll need to rest up after splitting all of that.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

looks great from here.
    We have new neighbors, and their plan is to take down several maples along our shared property line. I 'can't wait'... on one hand, will miss the shade, but one of them is threatening our house, and I'm just as glad it is coming down.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    ...... Glad to see you have a splitter.
    Yeah it's great, except it's sledge & wedge to get them down to a size I can manage enough to get them on the splitter Definitely putting a hurt on this outta shape old bod

Sharon...too funny, like trying to light some of this, wring it out though first

Ned, that was sort of the reasoning behind removing this tree completely....storm dropped a couple of goodies with one going through their garage roof

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cook View Post
    Yeah it's great, except it's sledge & wedge to get them down to a size I can manage enough to get them on the splitter
    Ya need one of those things I say last night on mountain men. The guy drilled a hole in the log took this metal thing filled with black powder list the fuse and run like heck, next thing ya know boom one split log.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward