Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just what I needed today...

Thumbs up Just what I needed today...

I've got the BEST brother!

I've been in a serious funk lately and have not been doing well. About a week and a half ago, it was late one evening and I was really feeling lousy. I hadn't talked to him in a while and what is "getting late" for me, is for him just about getting home from work. (I'm in Detroit and he's in LA) We talked for a while and told him what has been going on. He knows what's up with my health issues but I just needed someone to talk to so I could get some things off my chest and try to calm down a bit.

After a while, he said that he thought it was time to "lighten the mood a bit". He switched the subject away from the problems I've been dealing with and told me that not long ago a friend of his who is into R/C sailboats asked him to go along for an afternoon of sailing on a small local lake. He said it sounded like fun so he went along. He said it was a blast! Apparently it's not too hard to pick up the basics. He said that in no time, he was able to control the boat fairly well and he had a lot of fun. He thought that it would be something I'd probably enjoy. I agreed and said that maybe one of these days when money isn't so tight, I'd pick up a kit and give it a try.

It would be great therapy to get my mind off of my troubles while building it, as well as the enjoyment of sailing it when completed. Well this afternoon, this showed up. It's a COMPLETE kid with the radio and boat. Everything needed except paint and glue. He even ordered the optional mahogany strip deck!

He'll be in town for a few days in a little over two weeks. I think I'm gonna get busy and see if I can get it built before he gets here. I've got a nice little pond in our sub that's only a block from our house, as well as a nice pond in the city park a mile down the road. And many other nice little lakes that will be PERFECT for this activity.

Thank you so much bro! You're still at work I'm sure, so I'll give you a call later on this evening!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T37-1.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	76724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T37-2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	76725
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

EXCELLENT!
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

That is fantastic Looks like it's going to be fun to build and a blast to sail
    Faith, Hope & Charity

That's so cool. I've looked at those for a long time. I've got a number of RC toys, and my favorite is the RC sailplane. Something about engineless movement that is so cool.

Keep us posted on the project! Happy Sails to you!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I'll take pics of the progress and post them. This is gonna be fun!
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    John your really gonna get a kick out of that. I had RC sailboats when the boys were young and we had a great time sailing em. Think I might want to get another to take my grand kids out and teach em how it's done.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Have a RC speedboat. Doesn't work so well anymore. Tied a bass spinner on it, 6 pounder we call Hoover kept that boat under water for over an hour! Finally snagged the boat with a treble hook and reeled him in and released him! It was fun. Same motor, but slower with regular batteries, put in the rechargeable pack and it would glide over the water. Guess next time I need to buy a RC submarine! Good luck on the build, look forward to seeing it completed, brothers are good sometimes.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

good for you john,, and jonathan,, thats cheating using a rc boat to troll with but you did let hoover go to fight another day
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I don't know if two weeks is gonna be enough time, but I'm going to give it a shot!

Hull is constructed and has to sit overnight for the epoxy to set up. I can epoxy the deck in place tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T37-3.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	76754

ENJOY!!!
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER