Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I Get Some Input On Aprons

Can I Get Some Input On Aprons

I've been wanting an apron to wear in the shop. My wife started to make me one but then she started quilting and it sits somewhere. It really wasn't what I had in mind anyway (don't tell her). Klingspor has a nice leather one that is the style I want. Has the straps that go over the shoulders as opposed to around the neck, good sized pockets with flaps to keep some of the sawdust out, pockets for pencils and a pocket for safety glasses (I figure I would put them on more often if they were right with me). The apron is leather. I'm have a couple concerns about leather. It is heavier, probably hot, although my current little shop is air conditioned, and it can't be cleaned. The upside is it may provide more protection for the occasional kick back, I've had two in the past 3 months that have been very painful, both caused from being stupid for a split second (maybe I can find one with kevlar in it!).

I'm wondering what those who wear aprons think about leather, and what they find best in an apron. Type of material, and other features.
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 06-29-2013 at 01:43 PM.
    "We the People ......"

Despite really wanting one to work, I move around a lot in the shop and have yet to find one that fits comfortably enough for me. The ones that cover enough to do me some good don't take to squatting up and down and eventually tug at me enough to get taken off. If I turned, carved or stood at the bench hand-planing for an hour at a stretch, I'd just slip one on and off. As it is I have one hanging nearby that has hung there for a year . I'm never doing something long enough to bother putting it on.

It may be that one just has to get used to how they can move with one on and adapt to it. There are many fine ones out there. Lee Valley has one that their free shipping offer nearly had me trying. They seem like they would be so useful if they just wouldn't get in the way. My ultimate solution is to have 'shop clothes'. I buy quality footwear, pants and shorts that will take the abuse and pair them with random shirts off the clearance rack for a few bucks. Add to that my regular jeans and shirts that get old and I have a decent supply of sacrificial clothes for the shop.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-29-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I'll have to double check the maker, but I wear mine all the time out in the shop, especially when I'm doing a lot of ripping for cutting boards. Mine is just a basic 'duck' canvas.
    -Ned

The blue one is a Skillers vest. The other is a duck fabric apron stitched to The top part of a pair of bib overalls, with a flap & velcro to keep the dust out of the pockets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A1 myshop 097.jpg   shop apron 001.jpg  
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 06-29-2013 at 03:51 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Can I Get Some Input On Aprons

I have a fabric apron and a leather one. The leather one is roughout leather, so dust tends to cling to it. The fabric one (denim) was my granddad's. I don't wear an apron often, but when I do, it's the fabric one. It has a single non-flapped pocket, so I wear the apron inside out. (I'm typically wearing it when I'm turning wet wood, and I'd be filling that pocket with curlies in about 5 minutes if it was exposed.) like Glenn, I do have various "shop clothes" that I usually wear when I'm out there.

As far as cleaning the fabric apron is concerned..,bwahahahahahaha! I don't think that apron has been clean since it was made.

Sent from my Tricorder using the Transporter Room and my thumbs.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Ah yes the ole apron discussion. I got one it hangs on the shop door. It hung there even whenI wasable to do wood working.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Really appreciate the input so far, thank you. I have been using one of those old white canvas carpenter aprons. Maybe I just keep on, and save the money. The main reason I wear it is for the pockets for pencils, small T square, tape measure. etc. I've suggested my wife sew a flap on it to go over the pockets, but she doesn't like the idea of sewing it on her new sewing machine, go figure, when she bought it she said it would sew anything, well material. Maybe I put one on with velcro... or cloth glue....
    "We the People ......"

I've been using the leather welding apron from Harbor Freight. It has served me well, but like Vaughn said the leather tends to collect sawdust.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

I've been using a Bucketboss apron like this for several years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	889-183.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	76736

I prefer this style because it rests on my shoulders rather than my neck. There's a strap that runs around your waist to secure it; one end is attached and the other snaps into a connector. Works great for me!

It's available here as well as other places, I'm sure.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I have an apron from HF. It does go over the neck. I don't like it on my neck. I always put it under my shirt collar and that seems to work fine.

It is blue denim and has pockets. One short session at the lathe and I asked Myrna to get her little ripper and remove the pockets. She just sewed them closed and that is fine.

It cost something like $5.00. It was advertised 40 inches long. It was only 30 inches. I was ticked off but not enough to drive 15 minutes one way to return it. I like it much better than the $50 (I think it was Festool) apron I tried from Rockler.

The HF ties around my waist. I did modify it by cutting the ties shorter and putting a clasp on the ends.

Myrna laughed for a week after seeing this picture so I thought you might as well laugh also. (Yes Glenn, you may disown me.)

Enjoy,
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER