Can I Get Some Input On Aprons

Paul Douglass

I've been wanting an apron to wear in the shop. My wife started to make me one but then she started quilting and it sits somewhere. It really wasn't what I had in mind anyway (don't tell her). Klingspor has a nice leather one that is the style I want. Has the straps that go over the shoulders as opposed to around the neck, good sized pockets with flaps to keep some of the sawdust out, pockets for pencils and a pocket for safety glasses (I figure I would put them on more often if they were right with me). The apron is leather. I'm have a couple concerns about leather. It is heavier, probably hot, although my current little shop is air conditioned, and it can't be cleaned. The upside is it may provide more protection for the occasional kick back, I've had two in the past 3 months that have been very painful, both caused from being stupid for a split second (maybe I can find one with kevlar in it!).

I'm wondering what those who wear aprons think about leather, and what they find best in an apron. Type of material, and other features.

Last edited:
Despite really wanting one to work, I move around a lot in the shop and have yet to find one that fits comfortably enough for me. The ones that cover enough to do me some good don't take to squatting up and down and eventually tug at me enough to get taken off. If I turned, carved or stood at the bench hand-planing for an hour at a stretch, I'd just slip one on and off. As it is I have one hanging nearby that has hung there for a year :eek:. I'm never doing something long enough to bother putting it on.

It may be that one just has to get used to how they can move with one on and adapt to it. There are many fine ones out there. Lee Valley has one that their free shipping offer nearly had me trying. They seem like they would be so useful if they just wouldn't get in the way. My ultimate solution is to have 'shop clothes'. I buy quality footwear, pants and shorts that will take the abuse and pair them with random shirts off the clearance rack for a few bucks. Add to that my regular jeans and shirts that get old and I have a decent supply of sacrificial clothes for the shop.

Last edited:
The blue one is a Skillers vest. The other is a duck fabric apron stitched to The top part of a pair of bib overalls, with a flap & velcro to keep the dust out of the pockets.

Attachments

• A1 myshop 097.jpg
    A1 myshop 097.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 60
  • shop apron 001.jpg
    shop apron 001.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I have a fabric apron and a leather one. The leather one is roughout leather, so dust tends to cling to it. The fabric one (denim) was my granddad's. I don't wear an apron often, but when I do, it's the fabric one. It has a single non-flapped pocket, so I wear the apron inside out. (I'm typically wearing it when I'm turning wet wood, and I'd be filling that pocket with curlies in about 5 minutes if it was exposed.) like Glenn, I do have various "shop clothes" that I usually wear when I'm out there.

As far as cleaning the fabric apron is concerned..,bwahahahahahaha! I don't think that apron has been clean since it was made. :D

Sent from my Tricorder using the Transporter Room and my thumbs.

Really appreciate the input so far, thank you. I have been using one of those old white canvas carpenter aprons. Maybe I just keep on, and save the money. The main reason I wear it is for the pockets for pencils, small T square, tape measure. etc. I've suggested my wife sew a flap on it to go over the pockets, but she doesn't like the idea of sewing it on her new sewing machine, go figure, when she bought it she said it would sew anything, well material. Maybe I put one on with velcro... or cloth glue....

I've been using a Bucketboss apron like this for several years.

889-183.jpg

I prefer this style because it rests on my shoulders rather than my neck. There's a strap that runs around your waist to secure it; one end is attached and the other snaps into a connector. Works great for me!

It's available here as well as other places, I'm sure.

I have an apron from HF. It does go over the neck. I don't like it on my neck. I always put it under my shirt collar and that seems to work fine.

It is blue denim and has pockets. One short session at the lathe and I asked Myrna to get her little ripper and remove the pockets. She just sewed them closed and that is fine.

It cost something like $5.00. It was advertised 40 inches long. It was only 30 inches. I was ticked off but not enough to drive 15 minutes one way to return it. I like it much better than the $50 (I think it was Festool) apron I tried from Rockler.

The HF ties around my waist. I did modify it by cutting the ties shorter and putting a clasp on the ends.

Myrna laughed for a week after seeing this picture so I thought you might as well laugh also. (Yes Glenn, you may disown me.)

Enjoy,
JimB

I've been using a Bucketboss apron like this for several years.

View attachment 76736

I prefer this style because it rests on my shoulders rather than my neck. There's a strap that runs around your waist to secure it; one end is attached and the other snaps into a connector. Works great for me!

It's available here as well as other places, I'm sure.

I've got one from Duluth Trading http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/...-tool-belts/shop-aprons-shop-coats/85021.aspx

Looks pretty similar to yours Bill

apron.jpg

I like it, because it's short enough to not look like I'm wearing a skirt, like Jims.... :rofl:

But seriously, it's got pockets and the little back strap keeps it from riding on my neck.

This thread reminded me I had it and I ended up wearing it in the shop today. Didn't have to look for my pencil, tape measure, or 6" ruler even once, since they were hanging out right with me.

I've got one from Duluth Trading http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/...-tool-belts/shop-aprons-shop-coats/85021.aspx

Looks pretty similar to yours Bill

View attachment 76758

I like it, because it's short enough to not look like I'm wearing a skirt, like Jims.... :rofl:

But seriously, it's got pockets and the little back strap keeps it from riding on my neck.

This thread reminded me I had it and I ended up wearing it in the shop today. Didn't have to look for my pencil, tape measure, or 6" ruler even once, since they were hanging out right with me.

I completely forgot about Duluth. I have never bought from them, but get their catalog and always wanted to buy some of their items. Love the idea on the pockets although it has more than I would ever use. I think if I decide to buy, that will be the one. Thanks.

I completely forgot about Duluth. I have never bought from them, but get their catalog and always wanted to buy some of their items. Love the idea on the pockets although it has more than I would ever use. I think if I decide to buy, that will be the one. Thanks.

I've been pleased with everything I've ever bought from Duluth Trading Co. :thumb:

Who is this person who speaks as if he knows me???

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have a hard time motivating to put an apron on, although I also have a hard time finding my pencil so its likely that those two go hand in hand :rolleyes: I do have a turners smock which does a darn good job of keeping the sawdust and chips out of the pants and shirt pocket, but its a bit on the warm side when the weather is like it is now.

I can see how a rough side out or suede apron could be a bit of a chip collector. If you could find a smooth (hair) side out one it would definitely wear well, probably way better than any canvas one. You should also be able to burnish down the rough bits of a rough out apron, but it may well be more effort than its worth...

I have an apron from HF. It does go over the neck. I don't like it on my neck. I always put it under my shirt collar and that seems to work fine.

It is blue denim and has pockets. One short session at the lathe and I asked Myrna to get her little ripper and remove the pockets. She just sewed them closed and that is fine.

It cost something like $5.00. It was advertised 40 inches long. It was only 30 inches. I was ticked off but not enough to drive 15 minutes one way to return it. I like it much better than the $50 (I think it was Festool) apron I tried from Rockler.

The HF ties around my waist. I did modify it by cutting the ties shorter and putting a clasp on the ends.

Myrna laughed for a week after seeing this picture so I thought you might as well laugh also. (Yes Glenn, you may disown me.)

Enjoy,
JimB

I have that same apron. I don't use it for wood working though. I only use it when I am working on or stripping small equipment which is far more often than I do wood working. I think it is comfortable. I took the waist ties off also and replaced them with a bungee cord set up. its adjusted to just the right tension to be comfortable and snug. it also gives me more free movement if I have to bend over or crouch or what ever.

i don't wear an apron, but I do have a turning smock that I got from Lee Valley... it's fairly light weight, has knit cuffs to fit around the wrists and a velcro tab to seal the neckline...I got it back when I thought I was having a reaction to some of the woods I was turning... it's comfortable enough that in the summer I can remove my shirt and just wear the smock.. no AC in the shop and on really hot days it gets pretty warm... in the winter it acts like another layer of clothing - no heat in the shop, so..... it's washable and practical for me.

But even with the smock, I also have "shop clothes" that I always wear to the shop... I have a tendency to wipe my hands on my clothes, so most of them have either hard places where the wood glue has dried into the cloth or holes where the CA has dried and broken the fabric.

My shop clothes, my sister-in-law gives me all her and her husbands old t-shirts for rags. They won't wear them anymore if there is any holes or frays around the neck. They are, to me, too good for rags! I wear them in the shop until they are rag worthy! Her's are the best,,, because they are ,,,well rather large, lots of material to wipe my hands on as I work!