Small Gloat

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, After BW last week, a couple of deficiencies were made a little obvious in the shop.

First and foremost is the fence on my table saw. It's a 'Completely adjustable' shop fox fence that rides on little rollers.

Well, as Carol taught us, sometimes you just don't really want 'completely adjustable'. What you might really want is something simple, accurate, and time tested. So I've got a Biesemeyer fence ready to get swapped on the saw. I'm also going with the shorter 30" rails, because if I need to make a wider cut than that, i'll just use my track saw. I'd rather have the space than the length.

Then a few other doodads, one of them being the basic incra gauge.

One of the other lessons Carol taught us is that sometimes it's much better to use a gauge than to measure. It's repeatable, and accurate.

DSCN4508.jpg

Good on you. Now get the PC dovetail jig. :rolleyes: Seriously, I got to reading about it the other night and it has a few good features. he HF has a few deal-breakers for me, but then you already know that. :)

I've got a couple of the original Incra gauges, and they are very handy. I used one a lot when I was doing the picture hanging gig. It really sped up the layout when installing hardware on the back of a framed piece. Along the lines of what Carol taught, the actual measurement was inconsequential...it was consistency and repeatability that was important. And that's what the Incra stuff excels at. ;)

And congrats on the new fence. :thumb: It may not be an Incra fence (can you tell I'm biased?) but it'll be a heck of a lot better than what you had on the saw before.

Good on you. Now get the PC dovetail jig. :rolleyes: Seriously, I got to reading about it the other night and it has a few good features. The HF has a few deal-breakers for me, but then you already know that. :)

Yep, I may fool around a bit with the HF just to see if I can get a dovetail out of it, but I think the PC may be in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a couple of the original Incra gauges, and they are very handy. I used one a lot when I was doing the picture hanging gig. It really sped up the layout when installing hardware on the back of a framed piece. Along the lines of what Carol taught, the actual measurement was inconsequential...it was consistency and repeatability that was important. And that's what the Incra stuff excels at. ;)

And congrats on the new fence. :thumb: It may not be an Incra fence (can you tell I'm biased?) but it'll be a heck of a lot better than what you had on the saw before.

I'm a big fan of the incra stuff as well. I've got a bunch of it, but I just kind of wanted to go with a tradition fence on the Table saw. After that shop fox fence, well, I wanted dead simple.

Anybody want a shop fox fence?

Tell you what, Brent. I'll GIVE you my PC jig [when I find it!] and I'll spring for the new PC jig. You can pick it up when you come for the scissor table. I need an excuse to get that jig and give it a go.

Shoot, That was too darn easy. Had to drill 8 holes in my saw to mount it, but dang. What a difference.

I guess I've never really used a nice fence before, so it's one of those, "I didn't know what I was missing" kind of things.

Just need to make a little side table for it,

So easy to adjust, cause there was nothing TO adjust, well, really. I pulled out the dial indicator and I have it darn near parallel to the miter slot. I let it go about 3 thousands wide at the back end.

DSCN4510.jpgDSCN4511.jpgDSCN4512.jpgDSCN4513.jpg