Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pepper Shrimp Boats - smoker needed!

Pepper Shrimp Boats - smoker needed!

I made up some of the bacon wrapped shrimp cream cheese red peppers and put them in the freezer. Want to buy a smoker today. Local options include Wally World and Home Depot. Want a small electric smoker to run outside. It needs to be small to store in the chariot.

It will be hard to wait, but I am willing to order on-line.

Suggestions?
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Carol are you looking for a low temp smoker or one that cooks makes a big difference. I had a lil chief smoker that was the low temp variaty and it worked well for smoking fish etc but it was more of a smoker/dehydrater. wouldn't get hot enough for actual cooking never got above say 150.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Sounds like what I need is a smoker that cooks. Thanks, Don.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

YUP I been looking on line since you posted this since I been thinking about one for sometime and am finding that most good once will heat to about 275 degrees. cost seems to be starting at about 150 and up .
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Masterbuil...ndingMethod=rr

This one is similar to mine, (same size) with a digital controller! 179$ at wally world.

Not sure if they get much smaller.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Oh, and it gets hot enough to cook poultry even. Kind of like a little outdoor oven you can light a fire in.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I started with a Brinkmann charcoal smoker many years ago. It's the round one with a bowl of water above the heat source and two cooking racks. The electric version is only about $80. I did all kinds of meats on it: brisket, ribs, turkeys, chicken wings, etc. I graduated to larger smokers and now have an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Offset Smoker that I use for the afore-mentioned stuff as well as fish. There are times I'd like to have a Brinkmann when I just want a small quantity of stuff, though!
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 06-29-2013 at 09:09 PM.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Bill are you talking about this one. the reviews I read said it was a great unit for the money but did not have adaquate temp control.

opps mybad you said your was charcoal. I just re read your post. sorry
    Last edited by Don Baer; 06-29-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Bill are you talking about this one. the reviews I read said it was a great unit for the money but did not have adaquate temp control.

opps mybad you said your was charcoal. I just re read your post. sorry
    That's the one, Don. I've read a little about the electric version and it seems it depends on the person using it as to what the temperature can be. You can add more lava rock than comes with it to make the temperature more constant. A dimmer could be added in the electric cord, if necessary. On my charcoal unit, I opened a side door or tipped the top to adjust the cooking speed.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Carol, I been doing some research on the forum that I think Vaughn talked about ( www.thesmokering.com ) some year back and haven't found anything yet but I have joined the forum and will post the question there. What kinda budget have yall got. Iam also looking for my own info.