Best Bandsaw Blade for Bowl Blank Prep?

Mike Turner

I have an older Delta bandsaw that takes a 93 1/2" blade. I looked some at the big box store (Lowes) to figure out best blade to prep a bowl blank...easy prepping like cutting corners to fit lathe. I know this saw wont do but so much but it is what I have for now...Any help is appreciated...Thanks

3 TPI blade. Cutting blanks is tough work. The stock is thick and often green [wet]. Need big gullets to evacuate the sawdust in the cut. 3 tpI b;ade and don't overfeed the blade. It'll work great.

Forget about the big box store. They won't have anything suitable. And if you go to Rockler or Woodcraft or any of the other woodworking specialty stores, you'll pay three or four times what the blade should cost. As Carol said, a 3 tpi is what you're looking for. I use a 1/2", although some guys use a 3/8" for cutting tighter curves (smaller blanks).

I buy my blades from these guys:

http://ellissaw.com/

I use the "Flexback" blades at the bottom of this page:

http://www.ellissaw.com/Band-Saw-Blades/48/band-saw-blade-stock-list

The 105" blades for my saw cost $7 or $8 each. Ellis has a $50 minimum, so I stock up when I buy blades. They also don't have online ordering...you'll have to call them to order. And as Jim said, sometimes you can find a local tool or welding supply shop to make them for you, and they will be less expensive than what the woodworking stores will charge you.

@Jim, the Woodslicer is not suitable at all for cutting bowl blanks. It's a resaw blade. Are you thinking of the Timberwolf instead? It's a great blade for green wood...just overpriced by about 4X. :rolleyes:

I was using it for resaw stuff down to pen blank size. I had a saw tech come out and see why it wouldn't track and was burning. He took my Griz apart, re-did everything and it still wouldn't track or cut. He said the saw was great, set up just right, just a POC blade. The four I use from the shop are fantastic!

3 TPI blade. Cutting blanks is tough work. The stock is thick and often green [wet]. Need big gullets to evacuate the sawdust in the cut. 3 tpI b;ade and don't overfeed the blade. It'll work great.

+2 here... anything more will bind and likely create a safety hazard...

And also +1 with Vaughn's statement... I buy my blades from Packardwood... Olsen brand (I think)... they work good, last a while and aren't all that expensive. I've bought the big box store blades and they don't last... plus now that I have a riser on my Delta 14", I need the 105 inch blades and the big box stores usually don't carry them.