Any Body Build Any Lamps?

Karl Laustrup

While digging through my stash of Cherry looking for a suitable piece to finish my flag case, I saw some nice figured Cherry and a chunk of Bubinga that I thought would make a couple of nice table lamps similar to ones I made in 2004.
SqBaseLamp2004-2.jpg
This is one of the ones I made back then and the Cherry I found today is even prettier than this one. I think the Bubinga will be really nice as I can see some nice grain even though it's rough sawn yet.

When I made these lamps back in 2004 I used lamp kits I purchased from one of the BORGS. I think it was Menards. While they were Leviton units I wasn't at all happy with them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for lamp kits? Making a couple more lamps will be next on the agenda after I finish the flag cases.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I've not built any from wood, just stained glass. For lamp parts, try http://grandbrass.com I've had good luck with them.

Looks like a nice site, but I'm confused about the claim that
Grand Brass Lamp Parts has served the Retail and wholesale lamp parts, lighting parts, and chandelier parts industry since 1913.

How come? Well, the home page also says that
Founder of Grand Brass Lamp Parts Karl Muller Died at 94 Years Old on October 7, 2007
which means that he started the company the year he was born. :huh:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Anyway, thanks for the link! I've been toying with the idea of making lamps myself, and a personal recommendation is a good thing to have. :thumb:

I have built some. Depending on the design not difficult tasks. Fun actually. But the hard part was finding the electric components. Prices are all over the board as is quality. And the quality has nothing to do with the prices. Switches seem to go bad very quickly. BTW, do not get three way switches, with the new curly bulbs three way switches are not compatible.

Thanks for that web site Darren. I'll check it out a little closer as I get closer to making the lamps.

Nice looking oil lamp Chuck. :thumb:

Your response is exactly why I posed the question Frank. The last ones I got were crap and not really cheap as I recall although they have held up and do work with CFL's as I have just push switches on the lamps not 3 way switches.

How true Paul. I use almost exclusive CFL bulbs throughout the house. Not because they give off great light, but because they do last longer and they do save on the electric bill. When I first started using them the brightest I could get was 100w equivalent. I have now changed the bathrooms and the kitchen over to 200w equivalent. I only buy 6500k, or daylight, CFL's as I like to be able to see. The 200w equivalent CFL's are equal to a 45w bulb.