(sort of) Bulk tool buying

Jeff Horton

I need to stock the tool boxes for an upcoming boat building class. I need to buy quite a few small items. multiple hand saws, 3' levels, small carpenter style squares, tape measures, c clamps, pistol grip clamps..... I need 4 or 5 of each of most of these. Clamps by the case probably.

I can find any of these at numerous places. But anyone have a suggestion for a supplier that would have them all at discount prices? I want to place one order if I can rather than piece meal it out. Keep in mind my profit is effected by price so I am not wanting retail prices. I am looking for a discount house.

I have found a couple of places but I don't know them. Prefer to have a recommendation rather than buy blind.

Good luck finding 3 foot levels. All I've been able to find here are 2 and 4 footers. I have a fifty year old three footer I need to replace.

No solid ideas on the bulk buying, presumably you aren't looking for top shelf tools here as students will presumably be trashing them? I've seen cases where getting into a decent sale can be cheaper than small volume wholesale but I don't know if that experience transfers to this space really well or not.

Good luck finding 3 foot levels. All I've been able to find here are 2 and 4 footers. I have a fifty year old three footer I need to replace.

Not that hard to find online.. (not a recommendation for any given level, although I suspect the Stabila is likely pretty nice :D)
Lee-Valley
Stabila 32" Journeyman Level - $87
Starret Alum. Box-Beam Level, 36" $69.50

Amazon
Irwin Tools 1801092 36-Inch 1000 I-Beam Level $21
Johnson Level & Tool 9836-HH 36-Inch Aluminum Box Beam Level w/ Hand Holes - $44

Etc...

Well I'd call a company like Highland Hardware and ask to speak with a manager. Often deals like you are looking for have to be negotiated. Sounds like something Rob would have some good input on. An a tools furnished by XYZ" might be of some value to the store. A relationship with a local store would be good thing to have if students are local. If they are traveling then an online source might have some value..

Garry

Well, I am a little surprised but (hold on to your seat) it looks like one of my best choices is actually Harbor Freight. First, i am not looking for high quality tools. They will probably be misused and abused.
These are almost always totally inexperienced woodworkers so I expect so damage. But I don't want junk either. I took a fly tying class and the materials were junk and it made it very hard to learn the proper methods. So HF wasn't really on the list except for C-clamps. While on their site looking at c-clamps I noticed they have customer reviews. I was surprised considering how much of their stuff it so poorly made.

I checked out a few items and was impressed with the reviews I saw. Lots of poor reviews and a few good one on the 'gems'. So I looked at several items on my list and found several choices and most had enough reviews to be comfortable deciding what I wanted and didn't. So I guess I am going to buy as much as I can there. If something comes in that is junk I assume I can return it (got to read the fine print) and just pick up something better to replace it else where. Sue will help keep my costs down.

I searched a lot of places and no one has the selection and prices they do. So I think I will carefully pick and choose from there. Probably can't get everything but maybe I can the majority. And when it get damaged I won't cry.

From what I've seen, Harbor Freight has a very good return policy. Sounds like they'd be a a good choice for what you're looking for. :thumb:

Everytime I see a sale for clamps there I pick up some. Never had a problem with them. I think HF is a good place to buy some things, like boxes of the little throw away paint brushes, don't paint with them but they spread glue pretty well. Gloves, a throw away item, and some of their power tools are not bad, I'm getting better than I though service out of their 12" disc bench sander, although I did buy the extended warranty with it so it has to run 2 1/2 more years before it can quit on me. I have MORE than got my moneys worth out of their dust collector. Replaced the switch after owning it over 7 years and with add ons that I would have had to do with a more expensive one also, I think it is one of their "jewels".