Garden Bench - Phase 2 complete!

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Looks like the shorts storage/bench will have to wait for a while, Jan "needs" a garden bench for the front porch. Just waiting to hear back from the mill to see if I can go get some cedar.

The design is my own, and will echo the fence I built a couple of years ago. The bench will sit where the large flower pots are now. Construction is fake through tenons (mortice in about 3/8" from each side, glue and lag bolt the rails into place and then glue a false tenon end over the bolt heads) screws with plugged counter bores, and pocket screws. Wood, as mentioned, will be cedar.

DSCN1030.jpgFront Bench.jpg

Last edited:
On the plus side... Looks like you might be able use up some of those shorts for the small pieces... hopefully they are of the correct variety of wood :D

I like how that's coming together its a nice simpel design and the theme is being carried well throughout.

Maybe contour the seat a bit? - unless she'd gonna use cushions on it.

Like the back design. Really neat!

Shouldn't Western Red Cedar be readily available there? It's one of the woods I miss here - there's no good 'weatherable' wood available, except white oak. Cedar, when you can find it, is more expensive than walnut.

Maybe contour the seat a bit? - unless she'd gonna use cushions on it.

Like the back design. Really neat!

Shouldn't Western Red Cedar be readily available there? It's one of the woods I miss here - there's no good 'weatherable' wood available, except white oak. Cedar, when you can find it, is more expensive than walnut.

Cedar 2x4 can be had here for about $5, so the entire bench should cost around $40 to build. The seat does have a nice curve to it, just does not show well in the drawing.
Side view.jpg

Last edited:
On the plus side... Looks like you might be able use up some of those shorts for the small pieces... hopefully they are of the correct variety of wood :D

I like how that's coming together its a nice simpel design and the theme is being carried well throughout.
Thanks Ryan, unfortunately, none of my shorts are the correct species. :(

Beautiful bench design Rennie but . . . .where will you put the shorts from making it :huh:.

Seriously though, I think the bench will rock as a detail piece in the background view of your arbor and fence pieces. It will tie together nicely.

Made the appointment to go over to the warehouse on Monday to pick up the cedar for the garden bench for the front of the house and let Jan know. Then she says, "hey, since you're picking up the wood for the bench out front, how about the planter bench you've been promising to build for 2 years?" :doh:

Women's has long memories.:rofl:

Here's the plan. Somewhat generic, though I varied the height of the one box as it will help hide the trash can at the end of the deck, and I added some battens to (hopefully) give it a bit more of an arts & crafts flair.
Planter Bench.jpg

Then she says, "hey, since you're picking up the wood for the bench out front, how about the planter bench you've been promising to build for 2 years?"

Well as long as you're going to get the shop all dusty just go ahead and knock out a new bedroom set and armoire.

can we see that arch a bit more stretched out? height looks ok. as long as you're knocking out that bedroom set, and armoire, don't forget the side tables and lamps.....:rofl:

can we see that arch a bit more stretched out? height looks ok. as long as you're knocking out that bedroom set, and armoire, don't forget the side tables and lamps.....:rofl:
I can try when I build it, but changing it in SU without having the arc get taller is eluding me.

Rennie not to put a damper on it but this is gonna be outside right? If so what you going to protect it with? And what about water or snow on those panel edges.

Would tapering them so there is no ledge for water to dwell on help ??:dunno::dunno:

Rennie not to put a damper on it but this is gonna be outside right? If so what you going to protect it with? And what about water or snow on those panel edges.

Would tapering them so there is no ledge for water to dwell on help ??:dunno::dunno:

Good observations - it is all being made out of cedar and will be protected with a semi-transparent cedar stain. Beveling the lower rails might be worthwhile. I'll noodle on that a bit.:huh: