My version of why WOODCRAFT stores will not survive.....

For online ordering, It's a toss-up between Lee Valley and Highland Woodworking. Both are great to deal with, and both have tremendous variety in their inventory, I hardly ever experience a "backorder" at either place.

I also use Amazon, and have had nothing but good service from them.

YMMV...

We have a Woodcraft in Knoxville that's pretty nice, clean store, relatively friendly and knowledgeable staff, but I liked the previous owners better... the store hosts our local wood turning club but the club meets at night and it's a 50 mile drive for me, so rarely go to the meetings anymore... I think prices are high and usually can do better shopping on line, even with the shipping costs, I can get pretty much better prices online.... if I'm in town for something else, I'll stop in and do a hands on look-see at whatever I'm needing, then come home and order it.

I haven't shopped the Highland's site before... first I remember hearing about them, but will definitely give them a look.

...I'll stop in and do a hands on look-see at whatever I'm needing, then come home and order it...

Another reason for the demise of retail stores.

A while back, I even saw an article about one store that charges a "just browsing" fee. You pay the fee when you enter the store, and it you buy something, it's refunded. Supposedly, it's to keep folks from checking out a product in the store, then ordering it online, where it's cheaper.

That wouldn't work for me, because I often browse thru stores with no intention of buying - either in the store, or online. I'm usually just killing time while waiting for the wife to finish her shopping.

I have a hard time buying online. I pretty much want to look and feel the item before I make up my mind then once I do I don't want to wait for it to be delivered. And yes I know I usually spend more then I would have to but that's OK . I guess I do things backwards. I research an item online read as much as I can about it including customer reviews budget the price of the item find out who locally carries the item then I go to my in store inspection and if I like it I purchase it.

In terms of woodcraft it really depend on the personnel. The local one is owned by a jerk but the manager Curt has always done well by me. I only go there to buy stuff I can't get elsewhere.

Another reason for the demise of retail stores.

A while back, I even saw an article about one store that charges a "just browsing" fee. You pay the fee when you enter the store, and it you buy something, it's refunded. Supposedly, it's to keep folks from checking out a product in the store, then ordering it online, where it's cheaper.

That wouldn't work for me, because I often browse thru stores with no intention of buying - either in the store, or online. I'm usually just killing time while waiting for the wife to finish her shopping.

I tend to be pretty close to my money and being retired and on a very limited income, I will look for the best price... Like Don I like to see and feel a product before I buy, but I also will research and find the best price I can... and since I live in a very small town we don't have a lot of specialty stores here like the Woodcraft...so online shopping works best for me.

well i guess i am lucky, our nearest woodcraft is top notch, always had good service and the staff may not be knowledgeable of the methods or products but will try to get you to those that are.. the prices are higher than online pricing but the staff are worth the extra sometimes.. they will do everything needed to make the customer happy. and they have everything from tooling to lumber.. and they even remember your face and usually your name:)

Larry you do have a good store out there.

My "woodcraft store" is actually the Woodsmith Store. They have a great staff that is sometimes to eager to help, but that's better than not helping for sure. Most are part timers that are retired or semi retired. The manager Dave has been there for 20+ yrs and the assistant manager Terry almost as long. It's also a rockler store and if they don't have something you need they will order it. Sometimes they will match prices, but not on everything. My dad bought his Jet 1642 lathe from them. They matched an online price, no charge for frieght to the store, but had to charge tax. Worked out to be a wash and the put it in his pickup with a forklift which acutally made assembling it easier. I'm in there at least once a week and usually only by some scrap wood or just browse and dream at the tools but they are always friendly. I just tell them I'm killing some time on my lunch hour and I'll holler if I need anything.

I've been in that store, Jeff. Picked up a few goodies I had not seen elsewhere. Your are right - well stock and friendly folks. Those kind of businesses deserve local support. Other retail stores, Rockler and Woodcraft among them - should take lessons. Mail order businesses can take lessons from Lee Valley.