Food for thought re family get togethers an alternative kind of venue

I like this discussion, and Dave's pics kind of clinch the idea.
If something develops along these lines within a reasonable distance, we would take a serious look at it. I just hope it doesn't mean I have to get serious about repairing (and keeping) that truck camper that's slowly rotting away beside the barn.:D
We thought we were done camping when the boys grew up.

Fear not, Allen. We're heading your way sometime. For some reason, in all my travels, I've never been to NYC area. There's no excuse, since it's just an hour and half flight.

Last edited:
I have a brand new fly rod with sinking and floating reals and line. But With 4 shoulder surgery's I am not sure how long I can keep after it with a fly rod. The WV spot has some nice cabins and a lot of different rivers and streams in the area. Good restaurant close by. In Western Md their is a Quaker hotel that is about 60 bucks a night for 3 with great home cooked meals. You have Md , WV and Pa streams near by.

I might attend for the day but we are not into camping at all. I want heat, A/C, running water and private indoor plumbing, nice king size bed and no noisy or nosy neighbors :rofl:

Bob I had all that except my bed in my trailer is Queen size. :) Oh and its got a furnace and aircon, own shower with heated water and the cold ones are so close at hand I don't need to order room service or go down to the lounge to get one. :rofl: But best of all I don't have to worry about who slept in the bed the night before or who messed what on the comforter and I know my floors are clean, I cleaned em myself. :rofl:;)

Bob I had all that except my bed in my trailer is Queen size. :) Oh and its got a furnace and aircon, own shower with heated water and the cold ones are so close at hand I don't need to order room service or go down to the lounge to get one. :rofl: But best of all I don't have to worry about who slept in the bed the night before or who messed what on the comforter and I know my floors are clean, I cleaned em myself. :rofl:;)

Ok, but do you have an icemaker. I drink my scotch on the rocks.

Hmmmm, you do make convincing argument. If I hit the Powerball tonight I'll buy a touring bus :D

Ive spent enough time in cruddy cabins, enough time in mud in campgrounds to know that at this point in my life, I enjoy the comfort of real beds and climate controlled environments. Not to mention clean bathrooms and fresh towels.

but Im sure the idea of having a gathering in a public park/state land would appeal to people who enjoy the camping way of life.

I find it more personable when someone hosts in their home.

I was a bit surprised my offer to host didn't appeal to anyone. 45 minutes from the big apple, 15 minutes from some of the greatest beaches on earth, not to mention some of the finest eateries anywhere in the country.
I guess I need to change mouthwash or deodorant.

Allen, don't give up. Your proposal did fancy me and Marisol, she would love to come to NY as there are many things she wants to see such as the MOMA and other cultural places apart from the touristic ones; but coming to NY is not easy or cheaper for us ( and to some other folks from other distant states). We are reaching holyday season and apart from spending some time at my in-laws in august we are still open to anything.

The idea of camping of any sort would be fine to me, although I'm afraid LOML would not go for it unless it is in some sort of cabin or bungalow ( and that is still in doubt). I think that Rob's idea doesn't exclude gathering at someone's place, just opens more possibilities to hold a gathering in areas where there isn't enough room for cars or people. In our 2010 tour, we camped at a place in LA and then Vaughn came to take us to his place where we had great time, and the following day we had some more great time at Mohamad's place, so I believe that if enough people want it to happen they will make it happen.

Just to add a bit of fuel to fire here, Toni. You can rent RV's completely equipped, but I can tell you driving a big one takes a bit of practice. I am looking forward to one organized in the middle of the country next year, and I am willing to help organize it, if the hostess is open to the idea. There would be room for campers in different kinds of rigs and there would be nearby hotels and such. A rented van [expense shared] could provide shuttle service to cut down on the number of car rentals. Each meal would be subscribed for by a guest or pair of guests. Outdoor cooking equipment would be available. Outdoor porta-potties could be available so the lady of the house wouldn't be concerned about her bathrooms being overrun. A suggested donation covers the rented infrastructure and main course food budget. Pot-lucked items would round out the menus. Non-woodworking significant others can use the rented van for an outing of their own. If the date is chosen carefully, there may be an event nearby that would interest them, maybe something like a quilt show. I know folks in Indiana that have done this for years and they have all the bugs worked out. And they have had many folks show up for the fun. There were running woodworking demos in as many as three areas. We don't need to be so elaborate, but we also don't need to reinvent the wheel. :) Just saying that with enough planning this is doable anywhere, and with enough notice, people can make their plans to travel. Like Brent said, "Plan it and they will come." And trust me, a better and more fun vacation would be hard to match.

I think if you guys can get enough participation to organize an event/gathering in a campground/park, it should be planned and executed.
I have no interest in travelling to go to a camp grounds setting, but that's me.
I will however support the event, maybe make a set of chairs for a free raffle, if its at someones home and I cant attend, use the raffle to raise some money to support the host, whatever, I will support an event even if I don't attend.

toni-you and Marisol don't need any special fww event if you want a place to stay in NY.
Im close to all NY airports, and a 40 minute train ride from manhattan.
Ill be finished with the attic bedroom by end of summer, there will always be an extra bedroom in this house available.
And don't worry, my wife is as sweet as sugar, complete opposite of me, everyone loves her.
I could take you into queens, for some good Spanish food, oh wait, forget that, scratch that idea. I forgot.

btw-I contacted some ny members about attending a party if I have it here. half of them said they wouldn't be interested and I didn't get much of a commitment from most others, just a maybe. (so I give up, will not mention hosting anymore, I get the message)

Last edited:
toni-you and Marisol don't need any special fww event if you want a place to stay in NY.
Im close to all NY airports, and a 40 minute train ride from manhattan.
Ill be finished with the attic bedroom by end of summer, there will always be an extra bedroom in this house available.
And don't worry, my wife is as sweet as sugar, complete opposite of me, everyone loves her.
I could take you into queens, for some good Spanish food, oh wait, forget that, scratch that idea. I forgot.

btw-I contacted some ny members about attending a party if I have it here. half of them said they wouldn't be interested and I didn't get much of a commitment from most others, just a maybe. (so I give up, will not mention hosting anymore, I get the message)

Thanks a lot for the offer Allen, I take a rain check on that, Marisol can cook you some pretty good dishes, so no need to go elsewhere ;);). And do not worry about people not coming, as we say in Spain "it is better few and well acquainted..." (I think I have transllated it properly)

I could definitely see doing an FWW Fishing trip.

Wife won't hunt but LOVES to fish......bet it wouldn't take much to talk her into a FWW fishing trip. However, she likes all the comforts like a bathroom, shower and lectricity......roughing it works for me, but she usually gets a 51% vote on things like this. :huh:

Last edited: