MASONITE

Paul Douglass

Is there a difference between "Masonite", "Tempered Board" or "Hard Board"? Look like according to what I find on the internet it is all the same. Do they make any 1/8" sheets that are smooth on both sides (can't find any locally)?

Is MDF the same?

NO! MDF is essentially compressed sawdust, with some sort of binder (glue). Masonite (and it's other names) is more of a paper product, made from a paper-like compound, and then compressed. It also comes "tempered" - but I have no idea how they do that procedure. Great stuff for templates, btw.

I really liked the old dark brown, smooth on both sides, Masonite! I have a few scraps left and I hoard and treasure them like gold.
I use the newer temper board, but it just plain isn't the same. (Nostalgia?)
The tempered Masonite was smooth on both sides; untempered Masonite was smooth on one surface only and did not feel as dense.

However when I think of the "Good old days" I remember that the "Good old days" are really just poor memory most of the time.

Enjoy,
JimB

Last edited:
sorry for the hijack

I agree Jim about the good ol' days. My good ol' days were two channels on the TV (sometimes), no A/C, and worrying about dying from a nuclear holocaust! I live about 5 miles from the Oak Ridge National Labs.

Right, MDF is MDF, 'standard' hardboard is smooth on one side and not real resistant to moisture. Tempered hardboard is 'oil-tempered'; treated with BLO and heated or "baked", generally smooth on both sides and has good moisture resistance. Your local lumber yard should be able to order you any thickness if they carry a variety of sheet goods. A BORG will be hit an miss; I have never found tempered material at a BORG in my area but, my yard carries it in 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4".

My Grandpa use to say "The good ol days just got up and went"
Well Charles this ole cowboy wanna be feels the same as your Grandpa, have a feeling him and i would get on. :)

When i came to Canada i always thought North America did not know what masonite was. I was brought up with it being a staple "wood" my dad loved the stuff. It has its uses but not for everything :) .

Then i came across MDF and thought it was North American version of masonite. I am sooooo glad this thread came up.

Would still like to know what the junk was that the trailer guys used to make the panels in our trailer with. It looks like masonite but could be hardboard or thin mdf.

Whats the thinnest they make MDF in?