Lost My Girl Today

Sorry to hear about your loss, Vaughn. We have had cats rather than dogs, are down to one now and probably won't get another when this one goes. It's tough to lose a critter after you've become attached to them.

Vaughn, as an old cowboy from out West told me years ago, "son, when you have livestock, somedays you are gonna have dead stock". Other than his other comment, "if it ain't fatal, it is funny", no truer words have been spoken. Have reminded myself of that line many times. I put Fina's horse of 37 years down a couple of years ago, last year put down my saddle horse and our boxer is having a harder and harder time getting up with her bad hips. Took her to the vet and all they wanted to do was open her up to see if she had been spayed! They didn't understand my philosophy of quality of life over quantity of life for her. You had a great last trip that introduced her to new places, people and critters. She evidently loved traveling with you. As you do, cherish those moments. Like I told my girls as they would break up with a boy, your boyfriends help make you make the right decision on your mate. Don't forget what you liked and didn't like about that person and use that information when selecting your life mate. Same with your dog, she cannot be replaced, that would be a disservice to her memory, but eventually finding another will help fill the void in your heart and empty space in your life. Look forward to your search for another and think of how well you have documented her here in our forum. Play some blues then rip out the song Highway to Hell and Stairway to Heaven and don't look back!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm very sorry for you to have lost a friend & member of your family. We had a similar experience just a few short years ago with a Golden Retriever who passed on at 11 years of age. She was a great companion, fished with me in the canoe, hunted pheasants, knew 26 audible & sign commands, was truly a wonderful family dog and a member of our family. Your loss is understood and hopefully your sorrow will heal soon.

Very sorry for your loss Vaughn. I know many of us here have pets, and have lost pets, but having company never seems to dampen the feeling of loss one feels when it hits so close to home. Lokai turned 15 last month and we medicate him 3 times a day for his arthritus and have been watching him for other issues since he suffered a seizure last year. The first and last thing I do each day is reach down and scratch him behind the ears and tell him what a good dog he is. I will miss doing that someday. He is not the spry pup of 11 years that he was during my tour.

The Mascot looks on.jpg

I hope you and yours hold onto the fond memories and that they help to assuage the pain of loss.

Sorry to hear of Sasha's passing, Vaughn. Wish I had had the opportunity to meet her. As dog lovers we all hope we get to experience that "heart" dog that Sasha obviously was for you. I've had a couple over the 35 years we have had Irish Setters. The more time you get to spend with a dog, especially in training, the stronger the bond is...and the more it hurts when we have to let them go.
May the shamrocks fall softly on Boo Boo and your memories of all the great times you shared. Jim.

Vaughn, I'm so sorry for your loss. I DO know what you are going through. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do. Time will help heal the pain you feel. Remembering the good times you spent with her will always be with you.