Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting back on my feet

Getting back on my feet

Hello all, I've been pretty quite on here lately. After a week of vacation I came home to some severe back pain. To make a long story short I had an issue with my sciatic nerve down my left leg which left me unable to walk. It was getting pretty scary for a while but after several visits to doctors and drugs, just today I am able to stand on my own two feet again. Not walking very far yet but the relief I feel knowing that this is getting better is enough to make me feel that I'm on the road to recovery. This whole ordeal has really made me think about those that have had life changing accidents happen to them and what they have to go through. For me, I'm lucky that I should get back to normal in another week or so but I have sat here this week thinking about those that don't. With this being the 4th of July I think about those that have given life and limb so that the rest of us can live in a free country. I salute those that are brave enough to go forth and face the enemy so that we can live in a country and have all the luxury that we have. I've tried reading threads this week to keep up with things going on here within the family. I feel fortunate to be a small part of it here and enjoy reading about everyone's projects.
    Hope everyone has a great 4th of July.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Glad you back Tom, and i share your views completely. Takes a little setback at times to appreciate what we have when we have it.
    cheers

Holy cow Tom, that's kind of scary.

So glad you are making a recovery!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I thought you had been awful quite here lately Tom. Really glad to here you are recovering Trust me I know the feeling very well and I don't wish it on ANYONE. Don't push it and let it heal my friend.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

another tip for you tom, if they say it was caused from a ruptured disc dont push it at all and do all the PT you can get.. sometimes a chiropractor will help but they can also make things worse..and drugs sometimes kill the pain which is your body telling you something is wrong and needs you to stop doing what caused it.. if you numb the paint and keep hitting the thumb with a hammer after while it will be mush... i know, been there done that as some others here..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Glad to see you're getting better Tom. I have some intimate experience with back pain, so I can empathize. Follow the doc's orders and heal quickly and fully.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Glad you're doing better. I had an issue with that about 10 years ago and it was so painful. Didn't hurt standing...didn't hurt sitting...but man the trip from one to the other was...well let's say I've never cursed so much in my life

For me, it is my right sciatic. And I know the cause. I spent 3 months after the car wreck in '01 unable to even walk. You can't imagine the fear..... Damage cannot be reversed but careful chiropractic, rest, and a few OTC's help after a week or two. Does put me down for the count though. Amazing how many kindred spirits here!
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Korn View Post
    Glad you're doing better. I had an issue with that about 10 years ago and it was so painful. Didn't hurt standing...didn't hurt sitting...but man the trip from one to the other was...well let's say I've never cursed so much in my life
    I was kind of the opposite. Sitting in a chair was just ok. Standing was nearly impossible due to the pain in all the muscles in my leg. Sleeping was out of the question as the muscle spasms would not allow for it. However I did get some rest last night.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

You guys and gals sure do help me count my blessings. Thanks!
    I do so hope that I never have to go there.
    I will be thinking of you Tom!!!

Dare I say, "Enjoy?"
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER