wings

Just a little whimsy. I have seen a few of these turned and wanted to give it a try. Sycamore, 10.5"x4.5", only a little sanding sealer on it right now, rough sanded with a machine. Turned with my 5/8" bowl gouge of course, still my one and only! ;)

This was a heavily weighted horizontal branch and as expected it moved a lot with every cut. The edge thickness is much more consistent than it appears in the photographs, not perfect by any means though. Works for me.

Hu

Attachments

• roundbrownalilgreenpost.jpg
    roundbrownalilgreenpost.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 40
Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I could get a swelled head if it weren't for the dozen or so failures I have laying around to keep things in perspective. I think the dead pieces still outnumber the survivors. Once I got my tooling and equipment set up pretty well I have to say it is pretty nice to expect to at least have a finished product. For awhile I didn't even expect the pieces to survive. Now I can focus on trying to make them better.

A long long ways to go but I'm making a start.

Hu

M&M Bowl

Don't think it'd be my favorite for M&M's, but it sure looks cool!

Jim,

I'm with you on the M&M's especially the dark chocolate varieties! This bowl isn't none too pretty, the rim was pretty dinged up before I started and I think I jammed the tool rest into it once amongst other things. Neglected to spin the bowl by hand after a move "I was sure was safe". DUMMY! It is almost big enough for a M&M bowl though, since I live alone. Hafta plug the worm hole then I figure it would hold somewhere between two and three gallons, stacked right. :)

Hu

Attachments

• M&Mbowl 001post.jpg
    M&Mbowl 001post.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 10