Thread: Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener Question

GTA Ontario Canada

Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener Question

I just checked on the price to sharpen my jointer blades (9.75 each) so I figure with 4 of them to do I might as well buy this guide and do them myself.,43078&ap=1

Does anyone have any experience with this guide. Just so happens I use the scary sharp system so I am already kitted to have a nice surface and the papers.

New blades at Busy Bee would also be a solution which I might just do at the same time given they are only $49 for a set of 4. Then at least I would have a spare set on hand for future. Got to get busy milling some ash I purchased and blades are in need of some attention.

Just got all the rust of my poor machine. Man what the weather here in winter did in a non heated or controlled shop.

Thanks for any input. I would normally have a go at making something but time at the moment says buy.

Reno NV
    Can't really see any reason why it wouldn't work.

I've used this to 'sharpen' my jointer blades. I will say it made a huge difference and worked just fine.

Now if I had some really deep nicks in the blades, I might think twice.

I got the 12" long model so I could try and get a little more use out of the 'disposable' planer blades. YMMV on sharpening those.

I can't remember if I've actually used it on the planer blades yet, but I do know my jointer went from making scalloped edges to making a much more smooth cut.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	152867.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	77066
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    I would start with a shop made version of what Brent is showing. a kerf at 45* and a couple set screws and then it is a lot like the scary sharp method, eh? What you are experiencing is the thing that sent me to a spiral head. YMMV but, given my past use, sharpening and replacement of knives, the extra bucks for the head on my jointer paid for itself in under 2 years. I am going on 5 years and am just now starting to think I need to move to the third side of the inserts. The price hurts at first but, is more economical in the long run.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-10-2013 at 10:58 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke