Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener Question

Rob Keeble

I just checked on the price to sharpen my jointer blades (9.75 each) so I figure with 4 of them to do I might as well buy this guide and do them myself.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=33002&cat=1,43072,43078&ap=1

Does anyone have any experience with this guide. Just so happens I use the scary sharp system so I am already kitted to have a nice surface and the papers.

New blades at Busy Bee would also be a solution which I might just do at the same time given they are only $49 for a set of 4. Then at least I would have a spare set on hand for future. Got to get busy milling some ash I purchased and blades are in need of some attention.

Just got all the rust of my poor machine. Man what the weather here in winter did in a non heated or controlled shop. :(

Thanks for any input. I would normally have a go at making something but time at the moment says buy.

Can't really see any reason why it wouldn't work.

I've used this to 'sharpen' my jointer blades. I will say it made a huge difference and worked just fine.

Now if I had some really deep nicks in the blades, I might think twice.

I got the 12" long model so I could try and get a little more use out of the 'disposable' planer blades. YMMV on sharpening those.

I can't remember if I've actually used it on the planer blades yet, but I do know my jointer went from making scalloped edges to making a much more smooth cut.

152867.jpg

I would start with a shop made version of what Brent is showing. a kerf at 45* and a couple set screws and then it is a lot like the scary sharp method, eh? What you are experiencing is the thing that sent me to a spiral head. YMMV but, given my past use, sharpening and replacement of knives, the extra bucks for the head on my jointer paid for itself in under 2 years. I am going on 5 years and am just now starting to think I need to move to the third side of the inserts. The price hurts at first but, is more economical in the long run.

Last edited: