Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cutting board for my sister

cutting board for my sister

a couple of days ago after we installed the insert at my nephew's house (her son), my sister asked me if i could make her one of the neapolitan cutting boards, as one of her other sons gave her a wire banana hanger with fruit basket. she wanted a similar setup with the cutting board. so, as any good big brother with the madman woodworking skills, i said ok. now here is where the fun begins. she said that she wanted a board 'like' the one the other nephew has, not the 'same' as, so i figured that gives me a bit of leeway in making this board. it will be like the other board, since it is using the same materials (walnut, cherry, maple), and eventually it will be round. here's where the fun begins. instead of the straight lines of the original, i've decided to try my hand at one of those optical illusion boards, that should make it more interesting, since she does not know about that slight change. so far, i've planed down the boards, ripped them to width, and cut them to length. then they were glued together, and in the clamps for overnight. tomorrow i will be picking up some mdf at the good borg, to make the sled to cut them at an angle. if i can get this done before 3 tomorrow afternoon, i'll be going fishing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01 cherry walnut maple ready.jpg   02 parts cut.jpg   03 parts glued up.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

You've got a good start, Dan! Some cutting boards are on my bucket list, so I'll be watching how you do this board.

I'm especially interested in doing a board with the curvy lines as well as some with a 3D appearance.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Looking good, I'm sure you'll be enjoying the fishing, you're giving Allen some competition in the git-r-done department.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

those steps sure look familiar! Looking forward to the unique optical illusion part!
    -Ned

got a bit more done today. put together and set up the sled to make the cuts, made the cuts, arranged the cuts into the pattern, and glued up the pattern. i found after i had everything glued up, that i had reversed the ones on the ends. tis ok, most of that will be cut away. another thing i learned is that when making a board like this, is to make the original blank a little bit longer, as to have spare cut parts. i was concerned about cutting the parts, but it worked out ok. everything will stay in the clamps overnight, then tomorrow i will cut the circle, and sand it flat, then finish sand, and oil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 04 getting sled ready for first cut.jpg   05 blank sanded.jpg   06 ready to go.jpg   07 cuts made.jpg   08 cuts flipped.jpg  

09 circle pattern.jpg   10 blank reglued.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

'Tis gorgeous!
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

here's another project in the books! cut the blank and sanded the edges to the circle line, sanded from 80 to 220 grit, then oiled. gave my sister a call to come pick her board up, boy was she surprised. she was expecting one like the neapolitan, but got 3d instead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11 board freshly cut.jpg   12 board sanded.jpg   13 board freshly oiled.jpg   14 sister with her new board.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

Yep, I'd certainly say that she looks happy about it. Well done, Dan!

Beautiful. I'd take a brother like you any day.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

very neat, nice work and thanks for showing how you did it.
    "We the People ......"