cutting board for my sister

Dan Noren

Staff member
a couple of days ago after we installed the insert at my nephew's house (her son), my sister :bliss: asked me if i could make her one of the neapolitan cutting boards, as one of her other sons gave her a wire banana hanger with fruit basket. she wanted a similar setup with the cutting board. so, as any good big brother with the madman woodworking skills, i said ok. now here is where the fun begins. she said that she wanted a board 'like' the one the other nephew has, not the 'same' as, so i figured that gives me a bit of leeway in making this board. it will be like the other board, since it is using the same materials (walnut, cherry, maple), and eventually it will be round. here's where the fun begins. instead of the straight lines of the original, i've decided to try my hand at one of those optical illusion boards, that should make it more interesting, since she does not know about that slight change. so far, i've planed down the boards, ripped them to width, and cut them to length. then they were glued together, and in the clamps for overnight. tomorrow i will be picking up some mdf at the good borg, to make the sled to cut them at an angle. if i can get this done before 3 tomorrow afternoon, i'll be going fishing.

Attachments

• 01 cherry walnut maple ready.jpg
    01 cherry walnut maple ready.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 02 parts cut.jpg
    02 parts cut.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 03 parts glued up.jpg
    03 parts glued up.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 55
You've got a good start, Dan! Some cutting boards are on my bucket list, so I'll be watching how you do this board.

I'm especially interested in doing a board with the curvy lines as well as some with a 3D appearance.

got a bit more done today. put together and set up the sled to make the cuts, made the cuts, arranged the cuts into the pattern, and glued up the pattern. i found after i had everything glued up, that i had reversed the ones on the ends. tis ok, most of that will be cut away. another thing i learned is that when making a board like this, is to make the original blank a little bit longer, as to have spare cut parts. i was concerned about cutting the parts, but it worked out ok. everything will stay in the clamps overnight, then tomorrow i will cut the circle, and sand it flat, then finish sand, and oil.

Attachments

• 04 getting sled ready for first cut.jpg
    04 getting sled ready for first cut.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 41
  • 05 blank sanded.jpg
    05 blank sanded.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 43
  • 06 ready to go.jpg
    06 ready to go.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 42
  • 07 cuts made.jpg
    07 cuts made.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 08 cuts flipped.jpg
    08 cuts flipped.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 09 circle pattern.jpg
    09 circle pattern.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 43
  • 10 blank reglued.jpg
    10 blank reglued.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 45
here's another project in the books! cut the blank and sanded the edges to the circle line, sanded from 80 to 220 grit, then oiled. gave my sister a call to come pick her board up, boy was she surprised. she was expecting one like the neapolitan, but got 3d instead.

Attachments

• 11 board freshly cut.jpg
    11 board freshly cut.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 12 board sanded.jpg
    12 board sanded.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 13 board freshly oiled.jpg
    13 board freshly oiled.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 14 sister with her new board.jpg
    14 sister with her new board.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 37
WOWSER! The optical illusion of dimension is very cool. Well done Dan. Your board may just get me inspired to finally knock a couple of those off my bucket list ;-)