Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 state fair project

2013 state fair project

with only enough time for one state fair project, i've decided to go with turning this year (sorry larry!) the entry this year will be a brass accented cane made with a darker specimen of hickory (good for ramrods, good for canes i fugure), topping it off with a knob made from a burl whose species i've forgotten, but as ugly as it is, it should be interesting on the inside. it will be separable in the middle, and will have a bottom end that has a brass spike for walking in icy conditions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01 hickory cut and ready.jpg   02 burl to be used for knob.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Faith, Hope & Charity

Please show the progress pictures, I'd like to keep up on this project. My son and daughter use to do sheep in the fair. It was a great time, well until the day of the sale.
    "We the People ......"

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

more progress! after gluing up the cutting board for my sister, i decided to cut the bland for the knob from the burl. now to see what's on the inside when i turn it....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 03 burl side 1.jpg   04 burl side 2.jpg   05 burl side 3.jpg   06 burl bottom.jpg   07 burl top.jpg  

benedictione omnes bene

got a little bit more done with the little bit of time i had left today. set up the lathe, got the blanks ready, and turned the first one to round. now i have to double check all of the measurements of the brass items, as i found out the bottom brass fitting was 5/8" at the bottom, not 3/8" like had originally guessed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 08 starting to turn to round.jpg   09 turned to round.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

well, got back to it today. darned hot too, when i called it a day, it was 97 degrees with about 60% humidity. that was outside, probably well over 100 in the garage. picking up where i left off, turned the bottom down to final diameters, and tapered the bottom to fit the brass fitting. with that out of the way, sanded down to 600 grit, followed up by my pen finish (1/3 dna, 1/3 blo, and 1/3 clear shellac), along with 3 coats of jabba the hutt white. the assembly went pretty much as planned, and i went on to the top half. that's where the day caught up to me. the turning went ok, but that was the main part. the tenon at the top was just a hair under size, but thick glue could take care of that, but when i found that the diameter of the bottom was about 1/16" less than the brass fitting, there was no salvaging that. at least i still have more hickory, and will make a fresh start in the morning, when the temperatures will be cooler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 final turning a.jpg   11 final turning b.jpg   12 finish applied.jpg   13 fit of the bottom brass fitting.jpg   14 bottom finished.jpg  

benedictione omnes bene

So far so good Dan
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Looking good Dan!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault