HFDC Casters

Al Launier

I just finished assembling the HF Dust Collector (http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html). It took a while to get to this installation as I had to "rearrange" the shop first to set up a place to locate it. The assembly went well, rather easy actually, but I am disappointed with the casters & the 4" wye that came with it. And, for some reason - perhaps assuming too much - the system is louder than I expected

All four casters are the "locking" type and do not swivel well (I made sure they were not locked). I may install larger dia. casters that I have on hand, or change the whole installation to something similar to what Brent did. I liked his installation and tried to find Brent's post but couldn't; must be buried in another thread. Anyone know where it's located?

Also, the 4" wye seems quite a bit loose to hold suction. It seems like I may have to wrap some tape to tighten things up.

I'm curious if any of you that have this DC experienced the same things.

Mine do the same and I was actually thinking of "upgrading" my HF DC's casters just yesterday. I've got a really rough shop floor, so figured it was just that they were too small and plan to put a bigger set on them. The noise is loud, but not any louder than any others I've heard to be honest. I thought about adding some plywood under the base to stiffen it up some and not make the base an extra noise diaphragm.

I've had that DC for years and just a few months ago the switch went out. Not a problem to replace. But from what I have read over the years it is common. I added the thien baffle to mine last month and wish I had done it year ago. I also attached my Wynn filter with bungee cords while I was at it I also wish I had done that years ago. I think the thien baffle quieted mine down a little. But I'm also pretty sure all dust collectors are noisy. You will definitely want and need to add the Wynn or equivalent filter system to it. 5 micro bags are not good. If you have the room and time the complete conversion you are thinking of would be the best option in my opinion. I have not had a problem with things being loose. I too would like to put better casters on mine although I rarely move it other than to vacuum under it.

Perhaps you are looking for Steves dust collector upgrade thread?

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?30595-Dust-collector-upgrade

Thanks Brent! Yup that was the thread, but for some season it's changed from what I recalled. If I had to guess, my memory failed me again!:huh: With my setup, I won't be able to do what Steve did. I'll just work around what is there.

As for Paul's suggestion regarding the Wynn filter, I plan on doing that, perhaps around Christmas. :thumb: I don't use the shop much, so time is not of the essence.

I have to think more about how much the DC will be moved, probably not enough to warrant using the bigger/better casters. They would probably be more useful on a different project.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul, that sounds like a good idea. However, a questions that occurs to me is whether repeated extensions of the hose, especially at longer lengths, will cause a set to the hose preventing full retraction to its original short length. Have you encountered this?

Mine does not retract as much as they show, but I don't have a hanger for it. I could push it back to the retracted size, but I leave it hooked to my table saw most the time and only move it to other tools as I need to. I use to have a length of that black flex hose, what a battle to move it from place to place! This is very easy to move around, and bends more so it will easily go around other equipment, which the old black hose would not. I've been thinking about making a hanger for it, but I probably wouldn't use it as much as I do now if I had to go get it every time. Oh, that makes me think of another great thing I added, a remote switch to turn the DC on and off. I love it.

As far as the noise is concerned, perhaps my best remedy is to simply remove my hearing aids. :rofl: I have hearing muffs that I may use???

Paul your thought about a remote switch to start/stop the DC is a good one. That is exactly what I'm in the process of doing. I installed one for the air compressor which is out in the garage. It's very handy to be able to just reach up to the switch (have it mounted to the bottom of a girder beam) to turn on the "remote" compressor. Although the DC will be located in the shop, it will still be handy to have the switch located centrally to the power tools.

PS As an aside, I was in Lowes & Home Depot checking out the electrical components that I'll need to wire up the DC. I was surprised at the cost of the 12/2 WG cabling, http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1 almost $0.70/ft. I need 30' so I would have to buy a 50' roll @ $33.97. I found a 75' roll on eBay for $32.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-2-WITH-G...OLT-75FT-ROLL-NEW-FREE-SHIPPING-/171072189034? with free shipping (will receive in less than a week). 35%/ft. less - I love a good deal! :thumb:

Last edited:
PS As an aside, I was in Lowes & Home Depot checking out the electrical components that I'll need to wire up the DC. I was surprised at the cost of the 12/2 WG cabling, http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1 almost $0.70/ft. I need 30' so I would have to buy a 50' roll @ $33.97. I found a 75' roll on eBay for $32.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-2-WITH-G...OLT-75FT-ROLL-NEW-FREE-SHIPPING-/171072189034? with free shipping (will receive in less than a week). 35%/ft. less - I love a good deal! :thumb:

You would have gotten a better deal going with a 250' roll of the same wire at lowes. I was talking the the electrical guy at ours one day and had planned on getting a 50' roll. He told me for about double the price could get the 250' roll and sure enough, it was $63 ($0.25/ft). He didn't explain why it was cheaper for the larger quantity though.

Paul is right, copper just got really expensive, but has seemed to level out. I used to buy those 250' rolls for $12 each.

No doubt a better deal, but 250' would be a lifetime supply for me & I'd have to store it. I'm already a hoarding pack rat trying to get things under control! :rofl:

I think I paid $17.00 for a remote controlled switch for my HFDC at Walmart. I's been working perfect for about 2 years so far. Also, I think my dust collector is quieter than my shopvac :)

Al, for a remote switch, a lot of us use a wireless setup so we can turn the DC on and off from anywhere in the shop. I use this one, but there are several others available for a bit less money. Just be sure to get one that's rated to handle the amperage drawn by your DC.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0035YF742/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1373744939&sr=1-6&pi=AC_SX112_SY192

Thanks Vaughn,
Granted, a wireless remote is a very convenient device to have, but as it stands now I've purchased all the components for installing the receptacles (2) & switch for the DC and am about 50% complete with the wiring. I'm just waiting on receipt of the 12/2/G wiring that I ordered online. One receptacles is dedicated to the DC & the other is installed with the switch located overhead centrally in the shop among the main power tools. So the switch becomes my remote for the DC & the receptacle can be used by other tools in the area.

However, Bob, I am curious as to which remote you bought at WalMart & did you install any sound deadening around the DC to reduce the noise?

When I picked up the HF DC I also picked up the HF DC accessory kit. Have been mulling ths over & couldn't feel satisfied as I would only use the (2) 4" hoses, leaving the other fittings unused, plus t he 4" hose is a very tight fit. Re-evaluated my duct setup & decided to visit the local Rockler dealer this Friday & go with Paul's recommendation. Seems like it would serve my limited woodworking scope with greater "flexibility".

Thanks Paul!

When I picked up the HF DC I also picked up the HF DC accessory kit. Have been mulling ths over & couldn't feel satisfied as I would only use the (2) 4" hoses, leaving the other fittings unused, plus t he 4" hose is a very tight fit. Re-evaluated my duct setup & decided to visit the local Rockler dealer this Friday & go with Paul's recommendation. Seems like it would serve my limited woodworking scope with greater "flexibility".

Thanks Paul!

I arrived at much the same conclusions regarding the HF accessory kit. I bought it, then ended up not using much of it. I did use a couple of the gates for a short time, but in my final configuration, I simply move the hose from machine to machine. Plus, the hose in the HF kit is far stiffer that the Rockler hose, so it was more of a pain for me to use.