Thread: Jewelry Box Finishing

Jewelry Box Finishing

Almost ready to start on the finish for the jewelry box. I'm thinking tung oil, because what Tom Niemi used on the beautiful one he made. What is the best/proper way to apply it. My bottle says to thin the initial coats with turpentine, well mineral spirits do the same thing? I hate to go buy turpentine for one project, but will if it is best. Mineral spirits is something I use often, don't mind buying it. Any other advice or is there a better finish, (without starting a war here).
    "We the People ......"

I just wiped on the tung oil finish with a clean rag, waited 10 mins and wiped off the excess with a dry clean rag, waited 24 hours and repeated. I applied 3 or 4 coats in that many days, I like that look with curlie maple. Can't wait to see pics Paul

Paul is it true pure tung oil or tung oil finish? If it's true pure tung oil you might want to thin it a bit as pure tung oil takes quite awhile to dry.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

What I have I bought from Woodcraft, says it is 100% pure Tung Oil. Who do you believe??
    "We the People ......"

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

The problem with oil or oil based finish on the inside of a cabinet or box, is that it off-gasses for a very long time (not absolutely dry for months or longer). Therefore the inside of the closed unit will smell of the oil. That is why I use a solvent based finish such as lacquer (or even better, water based lacquer) for the insides of pieces.

Oil may be the best on outsides to bring out the grain, etc.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

+1 on oil on the outside and shellac on the inside. You may want to shellac the inside first to get a look at it on the maple. I often just clear coat maple with shellac and let the wood shine through. On pieces that need a little help a penetrating oil can help things pop a bit, then I clear coat over it.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    The problem with oil or oil based finish on the inside of a cabinet or box, is that it off-gasses for a very long time (not absolutely dry for months or longer). Therefore the inside of the closed unit will smell of the oil. That is why I use a solvent based finish such as lacquer (or even better, water based lacquer) for the insides of pieces.

Oil may be the best on outsides to bring out the grain, etc.
    Oh, oh, I have already coated the box, inside and out with three coats of Tung Oil. I love the smell of Tung Oil, I hope my granddaughter does also. She may wear a necklace and smell like Tung Oil. She is going to hate Grandpa! I'll tell her to set in the garage, lid off for a couple months before using..
    "We the People ......"