To Hot still

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Went down to the neighbors to cut up a big old chunk of elm for turning and after about 20m started feeling a little woozy and was soaked through in sweat top to bottom (could wring it out of my trousers). Weather report claims 87 feels like 84, but man in the sun it felt closer to 105. Decided to bunch it until the sun gets a bit lower in the sky!

Might be I'm just getting old and soft to.

Yep, hot & humid here too...90 today and calling for the same for the next 3-4 days :doh:...I stacked a face cord of oak today to sell on Craigslist to offset the fuel spent on splitting and buzzing up the 10 cords given to me from a neighbor... who needs a gym membership in this weather :D

Darren...that looks so inviting & refreshing...I sorta hate you right now...JK :thumb:

I did manage to spend a little time in the shop. Just got done with our pool time.

Now, Time for dinner!

Well Darren most of the time I don't really want a pool because of the maintenance overhead but there are a few days a year where it sure would be nice! I'll bet its even nicer there when its not just hot but sticky as well!

About 7:00 the sun dipped low enough that the tree was in the shade of the house so after fortifying myself with a 1/2 gallon of water (plus 2 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp salt) and taking another 1/2 gallon of the same with me I went back down to get what I could. Ended up with 6 14"-18" blanks and 2 smaller ones around 8". Not bad. There is a big chunk left, the main trunk is about 3' across and maybe 6-7' long and there are a few nice big crotch pieces left at the top.. so we may be back :D

In the meantime I made a pie! A pretty simple one.

Easy Pie crust
---------------
2C flour
1/2 tsp salt
1C shortening (or lard)
mix until like "peas" (crumbles what have you - don't over mix though)
pour in 1/2C 7Up (I usually pour in about 3/4 of it, pickup most of the flour and then add the rest)
gently mix until just mixed
gather together and divide in about half
roll out on floured surface
gently transfer to a pie tin
repeat rollout/transfer with the other half

Poke holes in the bottom with a fork (not many, and not aggressively)
shield the edges with tinfoil
if you have them put pie beads in the bottom or beans work, single layer evenly spaced not to tightly does it
bake 350 for ~15 minutes or until bottom starts to get a hint of brown
remove foil, rotate and bake another 5m or until just brown
Allow to cool

You now have two empty pie shells ready for a custard pie (like chocolate cream) or - like in this case - a fresh berry pie!
The berry pie works best with a shallower pie pan unless you have really huge strawberries. The peaks should be to about the top of the pan.

Fresh strawberry pie.
------------------------
Clean and core some strawberries
Heat a jar of jelly until runny on the stove (I like currant, but orange marmalade or raspberry jelly or whatever works - best if somewhat tart and seedless)
spoon a (very) thin layer of jelly onto the bottom of the crust
put strawberries in to crust core side down, works best if you do rings starting from the outside.
spoon more jelly over strawberries, ideally evenly coating in a thin glaze
Chill for ~10 minutes covered with plastic wrap in fridge

Serve with whipped cream or ala-mode.

I switched to this pie crust recipe when loml found out that eggs bother her allergies. Otherwise I used to do about the same recipe except add ~1/2tsp baking pwd to the dry and then for the wet put an egg and 1 tsp vinegar into a 1/3C measure and top to full with ice water (the vinegar acts as a dough conditioner making a more tender crust). The rest is the same :D Having used it I like the 7Up recipe about as well maybe better but I've used the other one for a long time so I still think of it as "how to make pie crust".

Man yesterday the heat nearly wiped me out. Best made plans went to dogs when I had to fix youngest sons car in the heat of the day. Needed to change the alternator belt on his Honda civic. On any other car its probably a 20 minute job, on the Honda its a pull the car apart job. Power steering belt has to come off first then water pump and aircon belt and finally you can get the alternator belt off. Don't know why they put an engine mount bolt through the middle of all the belts. :huh: But I got er done as Larry the cable guy says. But needed nearly a whole roll of paper towel to keep the sweat away long enough to see what I was doing. Of course son was sitting in airconditioned office at work while I did it. So much for shop time. :(

this heat simply stinks.
too hot and humid to do anything.
Im not allowed to go to the beach, I cant be outside in the heat, and I hate walking around malls, sitting in movie theaters, so basically, Im trapped inside my home until it cools down a bit.
The ac in the garage/shop cannot compete with these high temps and high humidity.
really stinks.
Went for a haircut this morning, gonna try to go out and do some sanding for an hour before I feel like its pass out time.

I don't know how my relatives in Houston deal with 90% humidity and 95 degree temps 6 months a year.

this heat simply stinks.
too hot and humid to do anything.
Im not allowed to go to the beach, I cant be outside in the heat, and I hate walking around malls, sitting in movie theaters, so basically, Im trapped inside my home until it cools down a bit.
The ac in the garage/shop cannot compete with these high temps and high humidity.
really stinks.
Went for a haircut this morning, gonna try to go out and do some sanding for an hour before I feel like its pass out time.

I don't know how my relatives in Houston deal with 90% humidity and 95 degree temps 6 months a year.

You know, my dad used to have a small window a/c on a cart and would pull it over to where he was working and let it blow on him. Didn't have to cool the whole shop, just him. It was small enough it didn't take all that much power, so running other tools wasn't a problem.

my dilemma is if I run too much power outside in the shop, I cant run more than one or 2 ac's in the house.
I blow fuses, and that's a pain.
The window ac in the garage is ok as long as the temps don't exceed 85 and humid.
Once the humidity creeps up, its useless.

You know, my dad used to have a small window a/c on a cart and would pull it over to where he was working and let it blow on him. Didn't have to cool the whole shop, just him. It was small enough it didn't take all that much power, so running other tools wasn't a problem.

Now I know what to use my fermentation chamber for when I'm not fermenting beer!

I'm using a small AC unit to provide the cooling. It's working like a champ.

now you guys are starting to make me feel bad. last couple of weekends, high 80's to low 90's, in minnesota humidity is a given, and there i was, finishing off and installing my nephew's insert, making my sister's cutting board (sanding outside in the sunshine), and working on the fair project in a garage with no a/c. the worst part of it all, was that i didn't notice the heat or humidity. the worst though was last year around the 4th of july, when i made the beanbag games, and it was around 130 in the garage, that was noticed. :D

ya know how hot it is here?

Ive been so trapped in my house, Ive watched almost the first 3 seasons of episodes of the sopranos the past 5 days.

Never thought Id miss rain. it hasn't rained here in weeks, or at least more than 3 minutes of rain.

tonight the dewpoint is 75. like living in a tropical climate, temps are still in mid 80s at 10 pm.

Im falling way behind on my projects.