Mystery Tile

Al Launier

This one is really an Off Topic topic!

My wife's 89 year old aunt asked me out of the clear if I could get a "history" of what appears to be two ceramic tiles (~4"x4") in her fireplace surround. The surround was there when she bought the house in 1966 & she believes the house was built ~ 1930. She has no additional information. The tiles in question are the upper left of a man(?) & the upper right of a woman(?) in the attached picture. If she could find out who they might represent & if they are at all significant, it would mean a lot to her.

Now, I have a challenge that places me totally out of my realm as I know nothing about what may be Grecian(?) or Roman(?), or whoever(?) tiles & who/what they may represent. By the way, she is of Greek ancestry, but don't know if that is relevant. I have spent several hours Googling trying to find some information about these two tiles, but have nothing.

So, I'm wondering if any of you folks may have seen something like these tiles, or have a lead where I could pick up a trail.

Thanks,
Al

Attachments

• Bessies Fireplace Surround0001.jpg
    Bessies Fireplace Surround0001.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 45
Thanks Guys, appreciate your efforts. I checked out the suggested sources & came up empty. I'll look a bit more & then have to accept the win or lose results.