Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Bedroom Closet and Storage

Master Bedroom Closet and Storage

Now that I've completed the Master Bath Project, it's time to move on to the next project. We don't use this second sink/vanity which is located in a nook in our Master Bedroom. My wife originally wanted me to just pickup two pre-built 24" four drawer kitchen cabinets that we could paint and install them side by side in place of the vanity. This would have allowed us to keep the mirror and just do some simple touch-ups around it (this is an old photo, the wall paper was removed and walls were painted when we moved in). She is a person that likes instant gratification and as long as the area looks nice, it didn't matter if the quality lacked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	masterbath2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	77206

Well nothing is ever that easy in my house, the opening is only 46 1/2" wide, and I'd have to re-construct each of the pre-built units to fit, or move the right wall over. Well after she saw how nicely the Master bath turned out, she was OK with me building some custom cabinets instead that mach out of cherry.

I did some google image searching and came across one that I liked the look of. I still need to do some sketch-ups of it to fit the 46 1/2" width, but she liked the idea of having some jewelry storage in some of the smaller drawers and maybe a section in the top for her to hang some necklaces.

Name:	original_134487_VfhTGQbW4UEMWKHj5ziaOhnt8.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	77205

Next up is sketchups...
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Boy I'm glad my wife isn't a member here!! Looking forward to the build Darren!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Boy I'm glad my wife isn't a member here!! Looking forward to the build Darren!
    Ditto!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Love it. Go for it. As to our significant others getting ideas from the forum . . . I already have enough to do to keep me busy for a decade without adding a single thing to my list ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Love it. Go for it. As to our significant others getting ideas from the forum . . . I already have enough to do to keep me busy for a decade without adding a single thing to my list ;-)
    That's my point exactly!!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

So this is the first draft of the built-in, thought it would work well, but something wasn't right.

Name:	Dresser2.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	77293

So I copied into the master bath sketchup and put the walls around it and seems the lower cabinet is too short (currently 36" tall), so going to try it at 42" tall with 5 sets of drawers on each side. I'll shorten the upper doors and move the jewelry drawers up.

Name:	Master Bath1a.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	77292

My other option is to leave the existing soffit above where the sink is now and make the cabinet shorter. Will draw both up, but that's the progress so far. It was raining yesterday, so no wood yet anyway.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Lookin' good!
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Me likey. I think the sinktop and the new cabinet's ledge should be at the same height but, I've been wrong before. Doing "what if" drawings is a big part of my design phase. Sometimes while I am working an idea between what I am not happy with and where I think I want to go, I find somewhere else along the way that I actually like better. Playing with pixels is quick and easy. Have fun.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I assume those are four drawers at the bottom of the upper cabinet. You will have to clear off the little shelf area every time you want to open the bottom drawers for anything. It will make you unhappy.

Even though it appears to be wasting storage space, I recommend you leave at least an inch under those drawers. You will have to move taller things on the "shelf" but at least you will be able to open the drawers over a safety pin or comb or....

My bias is for lower cabinets like this to be either 30 or 36 inches high. But that is a preference item, not a requirement.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    Even though it appears to be wasting storage space, I recommend you leave at least an inch under those drawers. You will have to move taller things on the "shelf" but at least you will be able to open the drawers over a safety pin or comb or....

My bias is for lower cabinets like this to be either 30 or 36 inches high. But that is a preference item, not a requirement.
    That is great advice, I appreciate the feedback and will make for some space above the counter. I'm leaning towards leaving the soffit rather than building all the way to the ceiling, but I also hate to waste the storage space. I may have to work on maybe adding another set of doors above those to break up the space a little.

Like Glenn said, playing with pixels is quick and easy, and it doesn't waste wood.
    Darren