Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PID Build - Updated

PID Build - Updated

<< Removed content >>

Need to update directions.

I put together the first controller using this wiring diagram. However I'm learning there are big differences in pid controllers....

The second one I'm building requires a different configuration. Will update later.

Suffice to say the parts list is fine, but I'll need to put together a different wiring diagram.

<--->

Check the last message. I'm quite happy with the way this turned out and after spending some time experimenting with the pid, happy with the way the pid controls the temps.
    Last edited by Brent Dowell; 11-08-2013 at 01:53 AM.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    First and foremost, Let me state I am not an electrician. I am not an engineer. Hell, I probably have no idea what I'm doing.
    Thursday To Do List:
    • Call Allstate re Fire Insurance
    • Call Prudential re Life Insurance
    • Join farmersonly.com

hehehehehehe
    Human Test Dummy

but his first attempt did make some good vittles a few weeks ago")
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Why do I even bother trying to be helpful around here....

If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Thanks for all the details Brent. I was going to go for some of the bundle options on ebay, but I like the thermocouple you have chosen. At least it will get inside the smoker with the longer probe and the cable is a nice length too.

Will also look to add a resettable circuit breaker to the unit inline with the mains just in case something goes wrong.

You might be interested to know that on my return from BW when I was telling family of my plan to build this and get the smoker, I asked youngest son if he had learnt about PID control at University given he is taking engineering and had done the calculus and was quiet into the subject. Answer was nope. So we had a chat about the practical side of the implementation of calculus and how its applied in a controller like this. Then it clicked to him because they had being doing similar problem solving but only in the math class not in practice. Downside is I don't know what its going to take to get his generation excited about techie stuff like this, they were born into it all so its just kinda blah to them. Here I am still marveling at the path we have lived from vinyl to tape to cd to mp3 and he simply cannot relate to it.

Sharon I had to look up the farmers only part to get the last bit, site should have been farmers lonely lol

Having been shocked myself a few times I don't think its the electrics that you need to worry about.

On the side anyone here ever had a shock from DC ?
    cheers

You can definitely get things cheaper on Ebay.

The one thing I don't understand about all the bundles on ebay is that they bundle a DA (DC-AC) SSR instead of an AA SSR (AC-AC).

Can you run AC into the DC side of an DA SSR to trigger the SSR? I couldn't find much info about that, but in my mind, if they make AA, then that's what I'm going to buy and use.

The longer cable and longer probe I think are important to try and get a good reading in the Smoker.

Yeah, I got a bit of a zip the other day, wasn't too bad, and when I was putting the original together, I did manage to get things wired completely wrong. That made a bit of a POP when I plugged it in.

What kills me is how cheap this tech is nowadays. IT's hard to believe how reasonably priced it is to get this much accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    What kills me is how cheap this tech is nowadays. IT's hard to believe how reasonably priced it is to get this much accuracy.
    That's what amazed me when you first mentioned it and I looked it up. Few years back we would have paid a fortune just for the digital display part never mind the control. It makes for exciting times. I don't even want to go looking for some of the stuff I am thinking of just trying to stay focused at the moment.
    cheers

Thanks for posting this, Brent. Definitely something I'd like to make in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    ...On the side anyone here ever had a shock from DC ?
    Does lightning count? If so, then yes.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Ok, As I was putting together Carols, I discovered that there is a big difference in the way some PIDS work.

I was able to get everything working, but do not use the wiring diagram I put together for this particular pid.

All of the parts will work, but I need to change the wiring diagram.